Assembly to vote on ethnic studies

The Student Assembly will vote next week on a resolution supporting the creation and expansion of ethnic and cultural studies courses at the College.

Sarah Cho '97 was the main sponsor of the original resolution last night, which requested only the initiation of ethnic studies courses.

During a discussion of the resolution last night, many Assembly members suggested increasing the scope of the resolution to include issues of sexual identity as well. Cho then decided to present an expanded resolution next week.

"I think ethnic studies wasn't really defined clearly" in the resolution, Cho said, and she said she wanted the time to work with people on clarifying the topics included in ethnic and cultural studies courses.

Cho said she is sure the resolution will pass next week. Most of the Assembly members agreed the resolution will be passed at the next meeting.

Heavey said the Academics Affairs committee, which Cho chairs, will iron out all the details about changes to the resolution so that it can pass next week.

In presenting the resolution, Cho told the Assembly she hoped to have it ready in time for a May 7 meeting with faculty members, in order to show the student body's support for developing such courses.

Cho said many professors in the sociology, history and geography departments have expressed interest in teaching courses which would explore relationships between different communities.

Scott Jacobs '99, who cosponsored the resolution, said, "I think it's absolutely critical the Student Assembly show how fervent the student support is" for the courses, which he said were a "critical aspect of a liberal arts education."

In early March, Yale University added an Ethnicity, Race and Migration major to its program of study as a secondary major.

Approximately 300 students at Columbia University occupied an administrative building last year in a demonstration of support for an ethnic studies department. They were evicted the next day by police, and 22 arrests were made.

Columbia made only minimal changes to its curriculum, which the college said had been in the works before the protest.

In addition to the resolution, Cho announced the results of a poll on double minors which was conducted in conjunction with the Dartmouth Dining Services referendum last week.

Cho said 1,500 students responded that they supported the option of multiple minors, while 274 students were not in favor of the idea. Cho said 814 students replied that they would have pursued a multiple minor, if it had been offered, while 453 students said they were not interested in multiple minors.

Heavey said "the transition has started for the new president and vice president and they've been working hard so they can make as smooth a transition as possible.

Kelly Bodio '00, who chairs the Student Services committee, said work has started on next year's Mug Shots facebook publication. Heavey said the quality of the pictures will be greatly improved next year.