Play highlights absurdity, trash can

Drawing from the absurdist writings of English playwright Samuel Beckett, "Endgame" presents a disturbed and somewhat eccentric portrait of the end of the world.

"Endgame," the drama department's latest production, premiers tomorrow at 8 p.m. in the Hopkins Center's Moore Theater.

The production is made up of a cast of characters who all behave with a bit of eccentricity, as is demanded by their parts.

Set at the end of the world, the play's plot, soon revolves around four characters -- a slave, his master, and the master's parents.

The slave, named Clov, is played by Zachary Oberzan '96 who also doubles as director of the performance. David Harbour '97 plays Hamm, the slave's master. Hamm's parents, Nagg and Nell, are played by Caleb Scott '97 and Fran Goldsmith, academic assistant in the drama department.

They live in trash cans.

Other members involved in the production include stage manager Nora Bryan '98 and assistant director Skye Gurney '99, but according to the cast, the true star of the play is Hamm's dog, played by an inanimate three legged stuffed animal.

Practices have been intense, according to Oberzan; they have been "so intense that bones have been fractured and joints dislocated."

The slave, Clov, is written in the script as having a limp, and Oberzan recently broke his foot. According to members of the cast, this was not an accident.

Scott was also quick to point out all the injuries he has received from being cramped inside a trash can throughout the play. Furthermore, he also claims that the residues from the carpet cleaner that had been previously stored in the can have had adverse affects on him.

"It's made me sterile," he joked.

Goldsmith agreed that it is uncomfortable in the trash cans.

The cast has remained as true to the play as possible, while adding their own little twists to the staging, but Oberzan said that some changes were necessary to avoid being "mimics."

The cast has enjoyed working together, because they know each other so well, and they all appreciate Oberzan's approach to directing the production.

Harbor sees this play as a "segue" to later endeavors. He said that several members of the cast plan on working together after graduation.

Assistant director Bryan said "Endgame" is a "damn funny play" and "great for a first date."

According to historical records, the play was actually banned in London when it was first performed, because many government officials interpreted it as blasphemous.

"Endgame" will be performed today, March 4 and 5. Admission is one dollar at the door.