Oberzan's 'Endgame' delights

The Department of Drama's production of Samuel Beckett's "Endgame" is, in a word, brilliant.

From the amusing pre-curtain music, to the finale, the play keeps the audience entertained, while at the same time examining darker, more futile aspects of human existence.

The amazing set, replete with dark-hued rags and trash illuminated by multi-colored fluorescent lights, heightens the atmosphere of apocalyptic surrealism.The genius of Beckett's writing is on the whole maintained, with subtle additions by the cast that enhance the audience's enjoyment of the play.

There is little or no plot. The action is slow, and focused mainly in specific areas. This does nothing to lessen the humor, or the effectiveness of the presentation.

All four of the actors perform admirably, especially Zachary Oberzan '97 and David Harbour '97. Oberzan plays the limping, miserable slave Clov, and Harbour the blind, crippled, tyrannical master Hamm.

Caleb Scott '97 and Fran Goldsmith, administrative assistant in the drama department, play Hamm's legless, decrepit parents, Nagg and Nell, who live in trash cans.

These four characters, all with brilliant, mime-like make-up, with enough color so that they match their surroundings, interact as the world slowly dies around them, and everyday items (candy and other foodstuffs particularly) run out.

Oberzan and Harbour trade a barrage of childish quips mixed with occasionally insightful comments about the death of the outside world, about their memories of the older days, and about human nature.

Harbour is able to clearly convey emotion while his eyes are eternally concealed by dark glasses. He mixes his tyranny with misery with incredible skill, alternately laughing with glee and screaming in despair.

Oberzan makes clever use of stage equipment as props, and performs his role as a rebellious yet strangely obedient servant in as convincing a manner as such a role can be.

Scott's portrayal of old Nagg is another highlight of the performance. He conveys the senile-child image of an elderly man wonderfully. When Nagg tells "his story" to his wife, he flips from different voices with incredible skill.

Goldsmith's brief on-stage time does nothing to lessen her impact. Unlike Scott, who uses childish antics to convey his age, she uses bland-faced, catatonic dejection.

Would-be audience members seeking an exciting storyline or a cheerful resolution had best avoid this play.

However, if one is looking for hilarity amidst despair, wise observations amidst insanity, "Endgame" could be an entertaining way to spend a relaxing evening.

Other members involved in the production include stage manager Nora Bryan '98 and assistant director Skye Gurney '99.

The last and final performance of "Endgame" is this evening at 8 p.m. in the Moore Theater of the Hopkins Center.

Admission to the performance is $1 at the door.