Trustees may examine Greek issues

Members of Coed Fraternity Sorority houses have said they are exploring the possibility of more closed parties because of liability issues and concerns over damage to their physical plants. But another impetus may be a recent meeting of students and members of the Board of Trustees about the Greek system.

The Feb. 13 meeting was attended by six Trustees, eight student representatives and three administrators, and was organized because the Board was concerned about the current status of the Greek system in the aftermath of Beta Theta Pi fraternity's derecognition last December.

Many came away from the meeting -- which lasted over two hours --.with the feeling that unless the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council can maintain control over the self-governing Greek system, the Board may soon take more proactive steps to get it under control.

Chairman of the Board Stephen Bosworth said the Trustees were concerned about whether the "affair" that led to Beta's demise was "widespread" among other fraternities, sororities, and co-ed houses.

Bosworth said the meeting was not one that was called with a specific plan of action in mind -- rather it was to ensure the Trustees had "a clear understanding of what is going on at the campus."

John Dooley '97, the former president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, said it became apparent to him during the meeting that the Greek system was being "held up for scrutiny at a different level than has already been done."

"I think that the Trustees incorrectly think that what happened at Beta is standard for what happens at every Greek house," he said.

Student Assembly Vice President Chris Swift '98 said the discussion was focused on how the Greek system operates, the role of alcohol in the College's social scene and whether "the Greek system is the problem."

Dooley said that in his opinion, most of the Trustees believe that the majority of problems associated with social life at Dartmouth are attributable to the Greek system, if for no other reason than because it "provides the majority of the social life" for the 4,000 students at the College.

Giving the student population adequate social options is a task the administration "can't fulfill alone," Dooley said. He added the administration should show more "respect" for what the leaders of the Greek system do and for the "social life they try to provide."

Dooley said the Trustees understand the social role that Greek houses play on campus but they "don't completely understand the positive contributions that the Greek system makes to the Dartmouth community."

Heavey said he thought the administration would like more control over the Greek system. "I think the administration is concerned about whether the Greek system is being a real detriment to the community," he said.

Dooley warned that not all houses would welcome increased CFSC influence.

"Some houses might not appreciate that, but because the Greek system is under more scrutiny now, the CFSC needs to demonstrate that it can govern the Greek system," he said.

The meeting was organized and chaired by outgoing Trustee Joseph Mathewson, a former member of Beta.

Mathewson was unavailable for comment.