Women's hockey falls to Cornell, earns shutout over St. Lawrence

Two weeks ago, they split the weekend's games with Colby and UNH.

A week ago, it was with Princeton and Yale.

This past weekend proved to be another disappointing weekend for the Dartmouth women's hockey team.

The team hosted Cornell and St. Lawrence on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. Despite getting shut out by fellow Ivy League Cornell 0-3, the Big Green turned their play around on Sunday and hammered St. Lawrence 8-0.

"It was hard to take," co-Captain Malaika Little '97 said. "St. Lawrence played Cornell 3-2. We could have ripped it open [against Cornell]."

The weekend's match-ups left Dartmouth 8-7 overall and 6-6 in the ECAC.

"Saturday was a really big low for us," Jessica Clark '98 said. "We went into the game but never got into it. We showed it in what we gave out on the ice."

Cornell began its attack early on in the game. Freshman Colette Bredin swooped around the net and knocked in the first goal of the afternoon past Dartmouth goalie Noralee Raymond '00 at 9:14 in the first period.

The Big Red remained consistent throughout the rest of the game, putting away one more goal in each period.

"I think we never really got into it. I don't know why. It was the first time we had played like that," Little said. "Everyone was really disappointed [with the loss]."

Cornell goalie Alanna Hayes shut out the Big Green with 25 saves, while Raymond tallied 27 stops on the afternoon.

Remniscent of the week before, the team sat down after their losing effort, which dropped Dartmouth to 2-3 in the Ivy League, to discuss what needed to be changed.

Whatever was said, it was enough to put the Big Green back on track for Sunday's competition.

"We rebounded well [on Sunday]," Little said. "It was good to get a lot of goals and not to let them get momentum."

Two power plays in Dartmouth's favor gave the Big Green what they needed to get a head start on St. Lawrence.

Junior Michelyne Pinard capitalized on the first power play just six minutes into the first period.

Pinard was back just over nine minutes later during a second power play. This time, Jaime Arndt '00 passed the puck up the ice to Pinard who skated it from the right side to the center for a 2-0 Dartmouth advantage.

Arndt notched a second assist during the first period. She teamed up going three-on-two with sophomores Kathleen O'Keefe and Sarah Halsell for a Halsell netter.

By the end of the first period, St. Lawrence was already looking at a 3-0 deficit.

It was co-Captain Amy Coelho '97 who set the tone for the second period. She put away the puck at :58 into the period.

Ten minutes later the Big Green found themselves outmatched five to three because of penalties. With a never-say-die attitude, Dartmouth still managed to light up the St. Lawrence goal. Junior Emily Schnitman snatched a St. Lawrence pass and carried it down the ice for a short-handed goal.

The Big Green were back in St. Lawrence goalie Taryn Macliver's face two mintues later. This time O'Keefe used a Dartmouth advantage to bring the Big Green up to 6-0 with a power-play goal.

Sarah Hood '98 came up with the last two goals for the Big Green. With 1:29 left in the second, Hood received the puck from Sara Nelson '99 and hit the upper right corner for her first goal of the afternoon.

Hood put away one more for good measure at 8:31 in the third period, leaving her team with a 8-0 blow-out of the St. Lawrence Saints.

"We gave it our all," Clark said. "We put in the intensity and the emotion."

Raymond notched 13 saves for the Big Green and Macliver had 28 saves.

The Big Green are back in action this coming weekend at the Concordia Tournament.