Squash teams bagel Bowdoin Polar Bears

Bowdoin rolled into Hanover yesterday, hoping to tarnish Dartmouth's 4-0 record. But when it came time to play, Bowdoin was caught off guard and couldn't handle the Big Green's firepower.

Like the four opponents before them, Bowdoin was left biting the dust, without even winning a single match. With one exception, all the Big Green players won in straight sets.

What made yesterday's win even more impressive was the fact that Coach Brownell didn't enter three of her regular players. Co-Captain John Gabel '98, Will Leicht '9, and Zach Segal '98 all took the day off.

"We sat three guys," Brownell said., "And we still played great."

Co-captain Russell Echlov '97, Bill Tarr '98, Ross Hallock '97, Ryan Evans '00 and Colin Greenspon '00 all took home victories in straight sets.

The second group came away in similar fashion except for Tucker Richmond '99, whose opponent managed a single set before finally bowing to Richmond. With its fifth straight victory, the Big Green are off to a record-breaking start. Dartmouth will head to Ithaca this weekend to take on Cornell.

Women crush Polar Bears

The Dartmouth women's squash team continued its path towards excellence Wednesday as it routed the Bowdoin Polar Bears, 9-0. The victory improved the Big Green's record to 3-1.

Throughout the match, Dartmouth destroyed its opponent with deep, tight rails that kept its opponents on the defensive. All nine players on the Dartmouth squad won decisively with 3-0 shutouts. No Big Green player lost more than five points in a single game.

"We played well today," Laurie Sykes '99 said after her win at the top position. "It was a good match for us and we should be ready to take on Cornell this Saturday."

Along with Sykes, co-Captain Heather Duckworth '98, Jen Karlen '98, Jenny Johnson '99, Lindsey Rhoads '00, Carolyn Levine '00, Andra Winokur '99, Brady Beale '97 and Kerry Bystrom '99 all rolled through their matches in record time.

Despite the lopsided score, Bowdoin fought valiantly in all of its matches, forcing Dartmouth to earn every point. However, the Big Green were not fazed as they relied on their mental toughness to convert all of its matches into victories.

The women will travel to Ithaca Friday night for a Saturday contest against Ivy League rival Cornell.