Construction proceeds as scheduled

The conversion of Webster Hall into the new Special Collections Library, the first phase of the College's plan to expand the campus northward into the 21st century, could begin as early as April.

Planning for the Special Collections library -- renamed the Rauner Special Collections Library after Bruce Rauner '78 -- had been on hold for a few months, Director of Facilities Planning Gordon DeWitt said. Rauner was the major contributor for the project.

DeWitt said the planning development of the Rauner Library had been completed, but the project could not go ahead until fundraising goals had been achieved -- which happened this past fall.

Once completed, the Webster renovations will provide much-needed space for the millions of books, manuscripts and photographs in Special Collections. Currently, the rare items are in an overcrowded space at Baker Library.

DeWitt said Rauner Library is expected to be finished in the fall of 1998.

Director of Capital Giving Paul Sheff said funding is nearly complete for Rauner Library, with enough money pledged by contributors. "It is certainly complete enough to go ahead" with construction, he said.

Sheff said the College is now working on establishing an endowment for the new building to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of the building.

"We have raised enough money to cover the physical part," he said. "We need to add a component of endowment for upkeep."

But the new Special Collections library is only one part of the College's plan for a new "north campus."

The new psychology building -- Moore Hall -- is in the final stages of design, with construction scheduled to begin this summer.

And the new Berry Library and planned expansion of Baker Library is still in the early planning stages. Construction will not begin until late 1997 or early 1998.

In preparation for the anticipated summer construction of Moore Hall, the College has negotiated a site excavation and facilitation package with the Pizzagalli Construction Company, DeWitt said. This company is currently doing steam tunnel work at Dartmouth behind Bradley Hall.

DeWitt said the new building, which will be located on Maynard St., will not be completed until early in 1999.

Sheff said Moore Hall will be financed by the College, without outside donations.

"The Trustees of Dartmouth made the decision to finance the building of the psychology building," he said. "So the funding seems to be in place for that although [Capital Giving] will attempt to raise money for that project as well."

Sheff said any money raised will alleviate any money Dartmouth may need to borrow for the project.

Design work is also now beginning on the new Baker/Berry library expansion. The College has just hired the Barr and Barr Construction Company to work as construction managers, according to DeWitt.

"This winter, we hope to finish the schematic designs [for the expansion] which is the first phase of design," he said.

"Maybe we will do some site work ... there are utilities which need to get moved," DeWitt added. "Utility relocation could begin as early as this summer but building won't start until 1997 or 1998."

Funding for the planned Baker/Berry expansion is "just getting underway," Sheff said. Active fundraising for the project will be starting this year, he said.

"We have enough money to consider the project viable but there are additional things that need to be accomplished that do not appear to be covered," Sheff said. "We feel the need to raise some money over the magnificent Baker/Berry gift to cover some of the conceptions" planned for the library.

John Berry '44 gave $25 million to the College in 1992 for the construction of the new, state-of-the-art library that will bear his name.