College Courses rise in popularity

While old favorites like Shakespeare and Introductory Psychology remain popular, a new kind of class is surging in popularity.

A total of 239 students are enrolled in five "College Courses" this term, courses which have drastically increased in popularity since the new curriculum was implemented in 1994.

The courses, referred to as COCO classes, are team-taught by more than one professor and attempt to draw connections between two or more disciplines.

The COCO courses were implemented for two reasons, according to Russian Professor Barry Scherr, head of the College Course Steering Committee.

First, the past few decades have seen a relaxation in the traditional boundaries that existed between academic disciplines, Scherr said. In addition, COCO classes allow "professors in different fields to examine a problem from different view points."

Examining problems from different perspectives is important because solutions to many of today's problems do not stop at departmental boundaries, Geography Professor George Demko said.

Ten COCO courses are being offered this year, a significant increase from the only "one or two" being offered just four years ago, he said.

COCO courses now make up one-third to one-half of all the courses that fulfill the interdisciplinary requirement, Scherr said.

Many students take COCO classes to satisfy the new curriculum requirements.

The new curriculum, which affect the Class of 1998 and all future classes, mandates students to take at least one interdisciplinary class before they graduate.

But despite the increased number of students taking COCO courses to fulfill requirements, many students choose to take the courses for other reasons.

Brent Knopf '00, who is enrolled in COCO 19: "Land and Imagination," said he chose the course for the material covered. He said the interdisciplinary credit played only a small role in his decision.

Marion Bates '00, who is taking COCO 18: "International Patterns of Development: A 21st Century Perspective," said he was interested in the course because it is a "mix of economics, sociology, geography and history. It's ... a little bit of everything."

Demko, who team-teaches COCO 18 with Sociology Professor Misagh Parsa, said the interdisciplinary courses attract a different type of student.

"I think you attract a student who is looking for a broader perspective on the world," he said.

Demko added that the course broadened not only the students' perspectives, but his as well. One professor being exposed in an academic setting to another "forces you to be more flexible and open your mind," he said.

Scherr said he sees a few problems with the courses. Not only have there been difficulties offering COCO classes throughout the entire academic year, but there are also still a relatively small total number of the courses offered.

Things are beginning to change, however. There will be three college courses taught this summer, the first Summer term when more than one has been offered, Scherr said.