Blowouts, beer, Bon Sclovi: Lone Pine provides dining, entertainment: The Lone Pine Tavern features student entertainment; unique eating alternative for students on campus

The din of chatter and strains of music you hear coming from the lower level of the Collis Student Center are the trademark sounds of the Lone Pine Tavern. Its relaxed atmosphere sets Lone Pine apart from the other dining establishments on campus.

Contributing to this relatively stress-free environment is the live entertainment provided by talented Dartmouth students. Lone Pine's manager Rey Ritner, who has been working there since "day one," said that the addition of the live music definitely caused the number of customers to rise.

He feels the entertainment is really important to Lone Pine because it draws students into the Tavern's relaxing atmosphere.

"If there's something happening up there that students like, it means you guys are coming to take some down time, and to me that's the most important thing," Ritner said. With every seat taken by 8 p.m. on Friday night, it appears that he is making an accurate assumption.

Students hanging out there come to Lone Pine for various reasons, but everyone seems to enjoy themselves while they are there. Sara Clark '97 said that occasionally she goes to Lone Pine in order to see someone she knows performing.

"More often than not, though, I come because I haven't been in a while and [the entertainment] just an added bonus," she said.

Brian Patel '97, enjoys the atmosphere of the tavern. "The singing is a good background," he said.

Ilana Liebert '97, one of the Lone Pine's performers, realizes that people are not always paying attention to the entertainers, but likes this type of atmosphere.

"People are relaxed, eating and drinking," she said.

"They're not always paying attention, but every once and a while someone will look up and smile at you or give you a big round of applause and it feels really good," Liebert said.

Senior Jerry Goldstein's love for Lone Pine extends past his two hour shift as a guitarist -- he said he is there almost every night. "I've played there so much it feels like home," he added.

Goldstein had experience playing guitar in New York City before he was given the job at Lone Pine, but he said there are always a lot of uncertainties at any new place which make you nervous. Although he said he does not know if he has many groupies coming to his performances, Goldstein finds it satisfying when people enjoy his music.

"Sometimes I run into people who say, 'I saw you the other night, you were good ...' and it's the most gratifying feeling there can be," he said.

Both Liebert and Goldstein plan to continue performing music after they graduate and end their careers at the Lone Pine Tavern. Liebert said she will definitely keep singing, but where and when will depend upon the town or city she is living in next year. Goldstein also said that music will always be a part of his life.

Jennifer McCullough '97 and Kevin Spence '97 provided Friday night's entertainment, adding their own element to the atmosphere of the Lone Pine.

Their versions of several popular songs left a great impression with at least two members of their audience.

Clark said that although she was not expecting to see her singing at the Lone Pine Friday night, "I've always been impressed with Jen's talent."

Jacob Waldman '97 said that he felt they are one of the better acts he has seen and that, seeing as every table was full, he was lucky to get a seat to see them.

"Generally the acts tend to stray towards classic rock, which is why this was a pleasant surprise because they are singing more modern things," Waldman said.

There is a certain style of music that seems to dominate the Lone Pine -- the name of one regular group Bon Sclovi seems to say it all. However, people are drawn to the relaxed environment of the Lone Pine despite their particular musical taste.

Waldman said, "It breaks up the monotony of Food Court."