Over the Weekend

Men's Tennis: The Big Green successfully closed out their fall campaign at the Rolex Tennis Championships this weekend. Three players advanced to the round of 32 in the always nationally competitive tournament. Erich Holzer '99 upset eight-seeded Philip Tseng of Harvard 6-4, 6-3 before falling to Navy's top player, Silas Bouyer 7-6, 6-4. Andrew Evans '00 and Rob Chen '00 also advanced two rounds over the weekend before losing. For complete story, see tomorrow's issue.

Women's Ice Hockey: The Big Green women took to the ice for their first competition this season Saturday afternoon. Dartmouth defeated Ottawa Nationals 4-1 in an exhibition at Thompson Arena. Kathleen O'Keefe '99, Sarah Hood '98, Michelyne Pinard '98 and Emilie Schnitman '98 all scored for the Big Green. The women open regular season play this Saturday.

Men's Crew: The Big Green lightweight crew had an impressive performance at the Princeton Chase this weekend. Dartmouth finished third in the event that featured the top 10 crews from last year. The Big Green's first boat finished the 2-3/4 mile course in 13:56. Yale took first and second place. The Big Green's second boat finished 11th. Dartmouth entered four boats in the fours races and finished seventh, 10th, 15th and 20th.

Women's Crew: The Big Green women also were in action at the Princeton Chase. Dartmouth placed 10th in the women's eights. The women also entered three boats in the fours races and finished fifth, 24th and 33rd.

Men's Soccer: After playing 105 minutes scoreless, the Big Green came away with a 1-1 tie yesterday afternoon on a mushy Chase Field. Columbia scored five minutes into the second overtime, but eight minutes later, Matt Blanton '00 tied the game at one with his first career goal. Goalie Matt Nyman '99 stopped 10 for Dartmouth.

Men's Swimming: The Big Green opened their season at the 9th annual Vert et Or Canadien-American Challenge meet at the Universite du Sherbrooke. Going into the final event, Dartmouth was second but then disappointingly placed fifth our of the 14 teams. Dartmouth has two weeks off before traveling to Navy Nov. 23.