Larsen '97 to receive scholarship honors during halftime of game

Regardless of the outcome of Saturday's football contest on the field, offensive tackle Brian Larsen '97 and Dartmouth will leave Harvard Stadium with a sense of accomplishment.

Burger King Corporation has named Larsen a Burger King National College Football Scholar Athlete of the Week and will present him with an award at halftime of the Big Green's contest against Harvard.

In conjunction with the award, Burger King will donate $10,000 to Dartmouth's scholarship fund in his name. The award is given to those athletes who show excellence on the field as well as in the classroom and are actively involved in the community.

Larsen, one of the Big Green's tri-captains, has been a dominating force for Dartmouth in his last three years as a starter. Last year the six-five senior tackle from Spokane, Wash. was named to the Ivy League's first team and has been a key contributor to the success of the Big Green's ninth-ranked offense this year with his run blocking and pass protection.

"Brian is the best offensive lineman I have ever coached," Head Coach John Lyons said. "He is an extremely hard worker and an outstanding leader. He is not a real vocal guy, but he certainly has the respect of all his teammates and coaches."

While the scholarship recognizes Larsen's exploits on the field, it also serves to highlight his work off of the field and in the classroom.

As a junior Larsen was named to the GTE Academic All-American Team. Furthermore, he has been rated by National Football League scouts as the number one academic prospect in the country of any senior eligible for April's NFL Draft.

If he doesn't play professional football, Larsen has thoughts of going to medical school. He spent his off term last winter working in the orthopedic department of the Deaconess Medical Center in Spokane. The tri-captain is a leading member of the team's community outreach program as well.

"I feel the scholarship went to a very deserving person," fellow lineman Chris Adamson '97 said. "He excels as much on the field and in the class room both as anybody in the nation. He's a great friend, captain and teammate."