DG adviser complains of Panhell misconduct

Delta Gamma sorority's adviser has accused the Panhellenic Council of violating its constitution in its handling of Delta Pi Omega, which is currently working with the administration to become a new sorority.

But Panhell claims all its actions have been constitutional.

Celeste Viscardi, DG's adviser, said she addressed her concerns in a letter to Dean of the College Lee Pelton and Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco.

Viscardi said the letter was not written specifically to protest Delta Pi Omega.

"I know that it ends up being a problem because people think we're doing this" because DG is small and "'we're mad at everyone,'" Viscardi said.

Viscardi said she and DG president Kim Papa '97 both wrote letters because they are "opposed to the way it's being handled."

Papa declined to comment.

"It was essentially focusing on the violation of the constitution bylaws by Panhell with regards to starting a new organization," Viscardi said.

Viscardi said if Panhell violates its constitution, there will be serious repercussions "for the women involved in the new organization and the rest of the women."

Viscardi said she pointed out the violations not because she is DG's adviser, but because of her obligation to the National Panhell.

"It's a simple fact -- they have a constitution and they have to follow that," Viscardi said.

But Panhell claimed it has violated no rules.

"We are not violating anything," Panhell President Jess Russo '97 said of the formation of the new sorority. "As far as I'm concerned, Panhell has been upholding the constitution."

"I met with everyone I possibly could," Russo said of preparations to start a new organization.

"I went forward" with the backing of the presidents of all six Panhell sororities, Russo said. "I would not have started another sorority if we weren't in complete agreement about it."

Viscardi claims Panhell violated an article in its constitution that states new organizations should be founded when National Panhellenic sororities are close to or over their totals.

"Clearly Delta Gamma's membership at 40 is not over total," Viscardi said.

But Russo said the sorority system is over-capacity.

"They are not at total -- they are under total," Russo said. "But the other houses are bursting at the sides."

Russo said the constitution is vague regarding the numbers of people that should be in the existing organizations before a new one is formed.

Viscardi said Panhell is violating another article of its constitution by including a member of the yet to be recognized Delta Pi Omega as a member of Panhell. "I believe she's secretary," Viscardi said.

But Russo said the current secretary is "taking the place of somebody" for "the last couple weeks of the term."

"Kelly Hart ['97] has been the secretary this entire year," Russo said, explaining that Jill Carey '99 replaced Hart halfway through the term.

But Viscardi argued, "If the [new] group hasn't been approved by Panhell, they can't be members, and if they're not approved and they can't have memberships," they should not serve as officers in Panhell or even attend meetings.

Russo said Panhell's meetings are open to everyone.

"We've had non Panhell members [attend meetings] in the past," Russo said. "If someone wants to come and say something at meetings, they're pretty open."

Russo said Panhell decided last year that adding a new sorority would be a more effective way to deal with growing sorority memberships than completely overhauling the rush process.

When she became Panhell's president, Russo said, she went forward with the plan with the support of all of Panhell.