Volleyball defeats UVM 4-1

Coming off of a rough weekend, the Dartmouth women's volleyball team beat the University of Vermont in four games last night, 15-2, 15-4, 12-15, 15-8.

The win was just what the team needed to restore its confidence after losses to Harvard and Fairfield over the weekend.

The team started off the game with strong serving from Maria Stutsman y Marquez '98. Stutsman y Marquez served three aces in an opening 6-0 run.

The Catamounts won two of the next three points, but Dartmouth closed the game with a nine point run to seal it. During the streak, Alison McKinley '99 made a huge pass to get the ball back in play while diving into a curtain that separates Leede Arena.

The second game featured the Big Green dominating in a similar fashion, going on an 11-1 run to win the game.

"In the first two games of the match, we had eight players step onto the court and really gel with a level of focus and energy we never really reached over the weekend," said middle blocker Danra Kazenski '99, who had seven kills and two blocks for the night.

The intensity of the first two games didn't transfer into the third game, as Dartmouth Coach Anne Marie Larese switched to a younger line-up.

"We weren't effective in keeping the momentum going," Larese said.

The game was neck and neck all the way to a tie at 10-10, but a three-point run by UVM put them ahead to stay.

"It took us a while to adjust to the fact that they were finally returning balls," Janna Merryfield '00 said.

Larese echoed Merryfield's sentiments. "The young players are new to the fact that a team can come back from being down two games."

The fourth game featured the return of the starting six. Though the Big Green gave some ground early, Stutsman y Marquez came on again to rally the team.

Down 8-6, and generating momentum off of a kill by Curry, Stutsman y Marquez stepped up and sent Dartmouth on a nine-point run to capture the match.

During the run, Stutsman y Marquez added two more aces to her match total of six.

"I get sick of watching a game that is taking longer than it 'should,'" she said. "Vermont's passing formation left many open areas."

Merryfield said, "Her incredible serves set the tone for the match, and pulled us through at the end."

Merryfield, who finished with five kills and seven digs for the match, was named to the Ivy League honor roll earlier this week for her outstanding play over the weekend.

McKinley led the team with 15 kills on the night, and her eight digs were enough to co-lead with Carmen Schmitt '97 for top honors.

"Ali played really consistently... and Janna is such a good defensive player," Larese said. "If Ali and Janna are on, we're going to be a tough team to beat."

In her first match since the Dartmouth Invitational 10 days ago, Latia Curry '98 had five kills. Curry was sick all last week and was even hospitalized Thursday night. As of Saturday her status for last night's match was still doubtful, but she played strongly and will start again in Friday's match.

Up next for Dartmouth is a road trip this weekend for matches at Columbia on Friday and Cornell on Saturday night.