Spread the Word to Alumni this Homecoming Weekend

To the Editor:

Last spring, students were told that a decision on the future of the Department of Education would be announced this fall. Dean Wolford's proposal was to downsize from a department to a program. Students expressed their fears that the decision would be the first step in eliminating education from the curriculum.

While the emotion and impact of the meeting was wonderfully obvious to the student body, it seems that our point has not been heard. It is now six months later and still there is no word of what is to become of the Education Department. Not only has this issue been kept unusually quiet, it is unclear if any decisive steps have been taken to address an issue that is extremely important to Dartmouth students.

A committee of four students was selected for direct student input into the decision making process. But they have never met, and it is now too late for their involvement. The students at that meeting were asking for a commitment to the study of education by their College and some answers as to why it is not worth Dartmouth's money to have an Education Department.

Where is that commitment? Will this issue just be swept under the rug again until news suddenly leaks out a year from now that the Ed Department is going to be downsized? Will we ever hear something more convincing than personal problems as the reason for destroying something so well supported by students and alumni?

In past attacks, the Education Department was saved by overwhelming support by the students and alumni through letters to the editor, the Administration and the trustees. Homecoming weekend will bring the alumni together with the students already here. Take this perfect opportunity to show your support, to talk to alumni about this issue, and to save the department one more time!