SA passes resolution to distribute Mug Shots

In their first meeting of the term, the Student Assembly voted last night to purchase and distribute a copy of the publication Mug Shots to each of the freshman Residence Hall rooms.

Low attendance forced the Assembly to postpone much of last night's agenda until next week's meeting.

The resolution, sponsored by Assembly President Jon Heavey '97 and Assembly Vice President Chris Swift '98 estimated the action will cost the Assembly $3,000.

The resolution will be partially funded by a sum of money bequeathed by last year's Assembly for use specifically in funding a publication like Over the Hill, which has not been issued since the 1994-1995 academic year.Mug Shots, like Over the Hill, features pictures of upperclassmen in addition to brief biographical sketches.

"I'm really happy to see that resolution for Mug Shots go through," Heavey said.

Assembly Treasurer Bill Kartalopoulos '97 presented the financial report at the beginning of the meeting. According to the report, the Assembly currently has about $24,000 to spend.

Nineteen students attended the meeting, not all of whom were voting members of the Assembly. There were barely enough voting members present to form the quorum of 15 members needed to vote on the Mug Shots resolution.

"I think tonight was a pretty clear sign that we need an attendance policy," Heavey said. Next week's agenda will include a resolution proposing an attendance policy, he said.

"For a first meeting, it went pretty well," Heavey said, considering the other events on campus last night, like sorority rush, that were taking place concurrently.

Following the financial report, Meredith Epstein '97 was named Vice President of Faculty Relations and Case Dorkey '99 was nominated to the Membership and Internal Affairs Committee.

The Assembly postponed until next week reports from other committees, including the Student Life Committee and the Academic Affairs Committee due to last night's low turnout and the absence of members of the Class of 2000.