Learn to Listen

I have a plea for my fellow students. It is a result of a lesson I learned this week from a helpful professor, Paul Gaffney, who is the new chair of the drama department. I ask each of you as students to help yourselves and the world we live in by trying to listen to and accept instead of judge. The ability to listen to another person and pretend that we are in someone else's shoes is very difficult. Too often, I forget this important virtue even though it may be the most important virtue in life. It is one thing to "hear," i.e., to feel soundwaves hit your eardrum and quite another to "listen," and actually think about what is being said, sung, or even cried at you.

A few months ago, during my summer term, I heard a student complain that she was frustrated with the drama department for having cast yet another faculty member in a leading role in its present mainstage production. Last fall one of the main parts in "Romeo and Juliet" was played by an outside actress. And this term Mara Sabinson, former chair of the drama department, will head off as the title role in Brecht's "Mother Courage and her Children."

I thought about what this student said and realized that perhaps I needed to investigate her comment a bit more. I was also disappointed that Mara was playing "Mother Courage." But I now think the decision was quite wise, having learned why she was chosen.

I planned a meeting with Professor Paul Gaffney, and it proved to be quite interesting. I entered his office ready to tell him that I wanted to write an article about the ethics of the drama department casting its faculty in Dartmouth productions. But I was calm and attentive, and I carefully listened to Paul tell me why faculty members are cast in shows.

His main reason was that drama professors need opportunities to practice their craft, and the best way for them to develop and strengthen their theatrical skills is by acting in college productions. His other reasons also made sense. Gaffney told me that students benefit greatly from working with a professional actor because they can learn not only from the actor's work but also her working habits.

The more I listened, the less defensive I became. I did not have to agree with all of his reasons, although most of the time I did. And I felt encouraged to voice my sometimes coherent and sometimes incoherent opinion. He was honest and open-minded and cared about what I asked him even when discussing my personal feelings about the department.

As I sat there, I realized that life is not as black and white as it sometimes appears to be. I took a risk in questioning the department's decision, yet at the same time I got respect and I got answers. For a person who has a hard time listening, I accomplished something for myself, the department and other students: instead of being bitter, or angry, or spreading nasty rumors, I became educated.

I may not have liked what I learned, but at least I made a commitment to educating myself and isn't that why we come to Dartmouth? To receive an education?