Jones, administrator, dies at 61

Kenyon Jones, associate director of athletics, died last night of a heart attack at age 61. Jones worked in the College's athletics department for 32 years.

Athletic Director Dick Jaeger said Jones had a heart attack Saturday morning while giving a tour of the College to a dean of a Chinese university.

Jones was immediately taken to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center where he died on Sunday at 9:35 p.m., said Deborah Winslow, the administrative director in the DHMC cardiac care unit.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said the loss will have an impact on students, colleagues and family members, according to College spokesman Rick Adams.

"Ken believed strongly in the capacity of recreational sports to shape character and moral development," Pelton said. "He was devoted to the young men and women who came under his tutelage and influence and he was beloved by his family and his many friends who shall miss him."

Jones began working at the College in 1964 as associate director in physical education and a men's gymnastic coach.

He was named assistant director of physical education in 1967. He became the director of physical education in 1983 and coached gymnastics until 1984.

Jones also worked with the First-Year Office where he over saw the construction of the Dartmouth Night bonfire since the 1970s.

Jaeger said he and Jones taught together at Hanover High School during the early 1960s and came to Dartmouth together.

"I'm going to miss him as a friend. I'm going to miss him in our department," Jaeger said. "He spearheaded a lot of programs to help students keep fit and stay active. He made a lot of things happen."

"All of a sudden, he's gone and it's going to take people a while to realize it," Jaeger continued. "We're going to have to deal as days go by."

Jones is survived by his wife, Shirley; his son, Kenyon; two daughters, Margaret Hughes and Meredith King, and four grandchildren.