Field hockey falls to Maine 2-1

The Dartmouth field hockey team couldn't rebound yesterday after falling to the University of Connecticut on Saturday. The Big Green lost a heartbreaker, 2-1, in a hotly contested game with an extremely talented and nationally ranked University of Maine squad.

Neither team managed to get on the scoreboard for a good portion of the first half, as each side battled for control of the ball.

Finally at the 17:35 mark, Dartmouth sent one into the cage courtesy of Lauren Scopaz '99 off the assist from Sarah Sedgwick '98. However, the Big Green's lone goal would prove to be not enough to hold off the Bears.

Within a span of 20 seconds, Maine took control of the game, scoring at 27:37, and again at 27:56 of the first half -- with both goals coming as direct shots from penalty corners.

This Bear blitz was all Maine needed as the second half was played back and forth. The shot totals, 13-11 in Maine's favor, showed just how close the game was played.

Dartmouth's offense hasn't been on track since its shellacking of lowly Sienna College. In the last three games, the Big Green have only been able to rack up four goals.

Standing at 6-6, the team will join in the Homecoming festivities and try to rebound with a big Ivy League win over Yale on Saturday at noon on Chase Field.