Fall Fling hosts Yale Duke's Men

Three student a cappella groups delivered three unique yet rich styles of performance at this Homecoming Weekend's Fall Fling, an annual tradition that allows students to take center stage on the biggest, most exciting weekend at the College.

The marquee featured two of Dartmouth's premier a cappella groups -- the Aires, who are celebrating their 50th year in existence, and the Rockapellas, a female group who intertwine messages of social awareness in their music -- and the Duke's Men, a male group from Yale University.

The Duke's Men took stage second after the Aires and sang a line-up of more barbershop-quartet tunes. They also delved into the mellow sounds of James Taylor and We Might Be Giants.

But the Duke's Men, arrayed in clean-cut blazers and ties, showed themselves to be intellectual in their use of humor to entertain the audience.

During one comedic interlude, the group performed a skit examining what conversations among modern-day colleges students would sound like if we spoke in Elizabethan (Shakespearean) English.

But the Aires were the first group to hit the stage in their famous, well-documented energetic and playful style. They were impressive in their renditions of some of the Bee Gees classics and the '80s hit "Jesse's Girl."

They were not to be outdone in the humor department. The Aires performed their version of the club song "Lick It," with the men dancing to the beat. Then they slipped into a cover of the Beastie Boys' sexually-repressed "Girls."

For their skit, the Aires made wisecracks at the College's new billing system -- the Dash card, and changes to Dartmouth Dining Services facilities such as the Collis Cafe.

The Rockapellas came on stage as the third and final group and performed tunes that are on their latest album, "Think on these Things."

Social commentary was threaded into the repetoire, but that only enhanced the audience's enjoyment and appreciation of the evening. Dressed in sleek silver and black, the Rocks sang tunes commenting on sexual assault and the upcoming presidential election.

In a parody of Alanis Morrissette's "Hand in My Pocket," three of the women played the roles of President Bill Clinton, Republican presidential candidate Bob Dole and Ross Perot.