Coed Fraternity Sorority Council sets goals for new academic year

The Coed Fraternity Sorority Council will consider re-evaluating the Coed Fraternity Sorority Judiciary Committee and the minimum programming requirements for Greek houses this term.

CFSC President James Freeman '97 said the council met yesterday afternoon to plan new goals for the term.

Judicial Council

Freeman said the purpose, structure and protocol of the Judiciary Committee would be reviewed in committee.

One protocol being examined is the issue of anonymity for persons under investigation by the committee, Freeman said.

CFSC Vice President Marty Dengler '97, who is also Judiciary Committee chair, said currently the committee does not adjudicate individuals, only the houses they represent.

Dengler said he would also like to see the judiciary committee's current method of informing parties of its decisions examined.

When the council makes a ruling, Dengler said, all that is sent to the involved parties is a letter explaining the decision.

"That's the main form of communication so things can be unclear, misinterpreted or not understood," he said.

Dengler said he would like to see the council follow up the letter with a meeting to explain the ruling.

"I see the JC as enforcing minimum standards but encouraging maximum standards, the best, from each house," he said. "We need houses to understand why we are doing what we are doing."

Dengler said this term the Judiciary Council will also release an annual summary of cases and sanctions to every student.

Programming

CFSC Programming Liason Jake O'Shea '97 said the CFSC will examine the role of programs on campus, whether the campus is "over-programmed" and how that can be avoided.

Currently, minimum standards are based on the "wellness wheel," which has six spokes corresponding to facets of development programming should encompass -- cultural, emotional, intellectual, physical, social and vocational.

"The idea is that you would get a lot of diversity in the programming," O'Shea said. "But what we are finding out is that people will tend to plan programs just to fulfill a spoke on the wellness wheel."

O'Shea said he believes there is currently a glut of programming on campus.

"There is so much stuff going on this campus that the campus is spread out too thin and people can't go to all these events."

O'Shea said one way to lessen the amount of events was by consolidating the programming of multiple houses.

"We want to get the entire system working together and have an event once a week instead of several a night."

Freeman wrote in an e-mail message that consolidating programming events "would serve to promote essential unity for the CFS system and the general populace of the campus, while lessening the number and increasing the quality of CFS sponsored programming events."

Freshman visitation policy

The CFSC voted unanimously yesterday to retain its freshman visitation policy throughout Fall term.

This policy prevents freshmen from attending any registered Greek social events during Fall term, although they are "encouraged to attend any non-alcoholic, social, cultural or educational event."

CFSC Secretary Henry Rosevear '98 said the freshman visitation policy was created and is enforced by the CFSC without any College intervention. The current policy has existed since 1994.

"We felt that this policy was clearly in the best interests of both the CFSC member houses in their efforts to sponsor positive social events and for the Class of 2000 in their efforts to adjust to Dartmouth, meet their classmates, and gain an accurate view of the various ... social opportunities available to them," Freeman wrote in an e-mail message.