Assembly votes to print a new dining guide

The Student Assembly last night voted to contribute $700 to the production of this year's dining guide and announced that it will subsidize bus trips to New York and Boston for Thanksgiving.

Assembly President Jon Heavey '97 said the dining guide should have been printed during the summer.

Communications chair Jonah Sonnenborn '99 said the dining guide was not produced in the summer due to "miscommunication" within the summer Assembly.

"The dining guide's extremely important," Sonnenborn said. "People use it all the time. People have been asking where it is."

The Assembly hopes to reduce the dining guide's production cost from previous years by including more restaurants and producing it through an outside agent. The guide had been produced for about $2,000 in past years.

Heavey also said the Assembly will make buses available to students leaving campus for Thanksgiving. Currently, buses are scheduled to depart for Boston and New York City on Nov. 27 and to return on Dec. 1.

Heavey said he hopes to have buses departing daily from Nov. 25 through Nov. 28 and returning from Nov. 30 through Dec. 2.

During committee reports and summaries, Dominic LaValle '99, vice president of student services, said his committee started distributing free copies of Mug Shots to freshmen rooms in residence halls.

LaValle also said Mug Shots sales in the Thayer Dining Hall lobby had ended after slow sales of "no more than 10 an hour."

Mug Shots will soon be available in Top Side and in dining halls, Heavey said.

"Winter term and Spring term we expect they'll sell again," Heavey said.

Last night's meeting was the second since the Assembly's implementation of its new attendance policy.

"So far attendance has been pretty good. Everybody's still in the clear," Heavey said, in reference to the policy's provision to remove voting rights of members with three full absences.

"I think it's working as planned," Case Dorkey '99 said. Dorkey sponsored the attendance resolution. "It's giving a nice structure to the meetings."

As for the two Assembly members who arrived seconds before the final roll call, Dorkey pointed out they made an effort to show up -- one which they might not have made before the policy took effect.

Heavey said he hopes to nominate a chair for the committee on community service at next week's meeting.