Assembly names new community service chair

The Student Assembly last night named a new community service chair and approved a letter pledging the current Assembly's support for the Committee on Standards reforms recommended by the Assembly last spring.

As the new vice president of the community service committee, Nancy Bloomfield '99 will help to define the role of that committee within the Assembly, said Assembly Vice President Chris Swift '98.

Assembly President Jon Heavey '97 said Bloomfield will also serve as a liaison between the Tucker Foundation and the Student Assembly.

"She's the kind of person that gets people together and gets people doing things," Swift said.

The Assembly also passed a resolution sponsored by Case Dorkey '99 and Meredith Epstein '97 to send the COS a letter offering support and assistance in enacting the changes within the COS suggested by the Assembly last spring.

The previous Assembly's resolutions called for an information session for prospective COS candidates, sophomore eligibility for COS positions, increased student participation in the COS and the inclusion of freshman voting privileges in electing COS members.

The College has already begun to take action on these reforms, according to the letter.

The letter states the Assembly wishes "to strongly urge that all its resolutions in regard to COS indeed be acted on in full, and to offer its assistance, wherever it may be needed."

In addition, Swift announced that the Membership and Internal Affairs Committee will review and clarify the division of labor among Assembly executives.

Swift said the new attendance policy requires the Membership and Internal Affairs Committee to notify members who have two absences, which they did. In addition, Swift said, some Assembly members had three absences as of last night's meeting -- the third meeting since the policy was implemented.

The student organizations committee is seeking a new vice president, Heavey said.