Thier addresses medical education and health care

Addressing the College at its 227th Convocation, keynote speaker Samuel Thier, president and Chief Executive Officer of Massachusetts General Hospital, discussed the current controversy regarding medical education and health care.

More than 1,000 students and faculty attended the Convocation exercises in Leede Arena yesterday morning, which also featured speeches by College President James Freedman and Student Assembly President Jon Heavey '97.

Convocation is an annual ritual that features the members of the faculty dressed in academic robes signifying their degree. The ceremony is the first and only time during the year when the College president addresses both the students and faculty together.

Thier's speech was also part of the kick-off of the Dartmouth Medical School's 200th anniversary.

Thier, who is also CEO of Partners Health Care System, Inc. in Boston, received the honorary degree of doctor of science at the ceremonies. Freedman presented Thier with his degree and described him as a "physician, educator, and inspired leader of institutions."

Thier spoke about the "present confusion" surrounding medical education, research and care.

He warned that as America moves from "an era of the industrial revolution into an era of information and science," health care should not become a business solely motivated by profit.

"Will health care be a business which makes a profit and gives care on the side or a professional calling that provides care and operates in a fiscally responsible manner?" Thier asked.

Thier warned that if medicine became a casualty of the marketplace and led to a decline in research and development, the U.S. would lose its lead in medical care.

"If you fail to evolve beyond what made you dominant, you are doomed to be bypassed," Thier said.

Thier stressed the importance of academic health organizations like the Dartmouth Medical School that teach, conduct research and care for patients. He said it was research in institutions like Johns Hopkins Medical School that led to the American lead in medicine in the 20th century.

Opening his 10th Convocation, Freedman praised the life and works of New Hampshire statesman John Gilbert Winant.

Freedman said Winant -- a soldier in World War I and an ambassador to Great Britain during World War II -- was the embodiment of idealism and humility that all Dartmouth students should strive for.

Freedman described Winant as "one of New Hampshire's contributors to national greatness."

Winant was a honest yet private politician who was often compared to President Abraham Lincoln, Freedman said.

He cited Winant's many accomplishments and described him as "a lifelong Republican whose humanitarian principals transcended party lines."

Freedman contrasted Winant's honesty and humility with the attributes of "the modern politician."

During the Battle of Britain, Winant walked the streets of England rendering assistance to all who needed it, Freedman said.

Winant cultivated a long friendship with President Franklin Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill. Freedman said when Roosevelt died and Churchill left office, Winant felt isolated and abandoned.

Troubled and depressed after retiring to New Hampshire, Winant ended his life by committing suicide, Freedman said.

Freedman concluded his story quoting from Edward Arlington Robinson's poem "Richard Corey" to emphasize that while people can seem successful on the outside, sometimes the image is just a facade.

Speaking for the first time as Assembly president, Heavey urged the Class of 2000 to meet new people, try new things and enjoy the community at Dartmouth.

Heavey related several anecdotes describing his own experiences at Dartmouth.

Heavey said students sometimes question themselves, especially in the face of "those who appear to be the smart ones, the strong ones, the people who seem to have it all together,"

Heavey then took a moment to remember the death of Sarah Devens '96.

"She, of all the people I've known, appeared to have life by the tail," he said.

"Please ask an upperclassman about Sarah," he added to Class of 2000 members.

Devens committed suicide in the summer of 1995.

She was a three-sport varsity athlete who excelled in field hockey, ice hockey and was named an All-American in lacrosse. She was the co-winner of the Class of 1976 Award, which is presented to the outstanding female athlete at the College.

Provost Lee Bollinger presided over the Convocation exercises, introducing both the Christian Chaplain Gwendolyn King -- who led the audience in prayer -- and the ceremony's speakers.