Lone Pine Deli, Changes to Collis Cafe Disappoint

What a disappointment it was to walk into Collis Wednesday, the first day of classes, and discover how inept Dining Services has proven itself to be once again.

It was heartening to hear that I was not the only student perturbed by the changes to Collis, which was once the choicest eating establishment during the lunch hours. All around me I heard mutters of discontent with the "new Collis," which seems little more than an attempt to compete with Dirt Cowboy Cafe.

Over the terms, Collis grew to be THE establishment for grabbing a complete lunch that didn't cause one's arteries to cry out in anguish. Whether in the heart of winter huddled inside its confines, or in the warmth of summer basking outside on its porch, Collis welcomed students with its promise of a full meal in a comfortable environment.

All of that changed today when I tried to relive the days of the past and was met with the shadowy Lone Pine, seeming out of place as any evening establishment does which tries to operate during the daylight hours.

One ordered questionable sandwiches from two scraps of paper impersonating menus as unseen individuals prepared your sandwich in the back room. I felt more like the purchaser of illicit drugs than a student buying lunch.

After fleeing that scene, I tried to secure something to satisfy my hunger upstairs, but was met with pre-made sandwiches with cement-like bread, and a coffee machine that seemed to swallow half the room. There were the typical DDS coffee dispensers, along with the sleek new cappuccino/espresso machine. Between the stress of class, the lack of solid food, and the plethora of coffee options, I'm convinced this school is trying to give us all ulcers.

We don't want cappuccino or espresso in Collis, at least not at the expense of our sandwiches. Leave the cappuccino to Dirt Cowboy and get your act together and bring those yummy, fresh, and moderately healthy sandwiches back to their proper place in Collis.