Campaign yet to meet arts and sciences goal

With only two weeks left to go, the College's Will to Excel capital campaign has exceeded its goal by 6 percent, raising $530,033,275 in a span of five years.

The campaign, which began in October 1991 and will end on Oct. 7, has raised funds to increase endowments for facilities and student and academic programs.

Though the focus of the campaign was on undergraduate education, the financial goal for undergraduate education in the arts and sciences has not been met, said Jack DeGange, director of development publications.

DeGange said donations for undergraduate education are $187 million, only 78.6 percent of the $237.9 million goal.

The Dartmouth Medical School, Thayer School of Engineering and Tuck School of Business Administration each exceeded their respective goals, but none of them had goals that approached $237.9 million, DeGange said.

"There have been some other remarkable achievements in the areas of faculty support and academic facilities both here in the undergraduate college as well as at the professional schools," said Stan Colla, vice president of development and alumni relations.

"I feel terrific about the program the campaign to date," Colla said. "I think it represents a remarkable story of achievement by our alumni, alumnae and friends in support of the priorities of Dartmouth College."

On Nov. 8, the College's Board of Trustees "will host a dinner to honor the campaign leadership and others in celebration of the success of the Will to Excel campaign," Colla said.

The original goal for the campaign, set at $425 million, was increased to $500 million in Oct. 1994. By Aug. 31 the current total funds received by the campaign equaled $530, 033, 275.

"I think the most outstanding area of achievement comes in the category of endowment for scholarship where we have exceeded our campaign goal by over 25 percent," Colla said.

As of Aug 31, $48.4 million was raised for scholarships, surpassing the $40 million goal, according to Jack DeGange.

"I think that represents a wonderful response on the part of alumni and others to continue making the Dartmouth experience available for every deserving student," Colla said.

Facilities constructed using funds from the campaign include Burke Laboratory, Byrne Hall, the Collis Center, Sudikoff Laboratory for Computer Science and the Moore Theater in the Hopkins Center, DeGange said.

However, the objective to fund the new psychology building has not yet been achieved, he said.

"Dartmouth will continue to have priorities that require support after this campaign is over, so we will continue to address them starting the day after the campaign ends," Colla said. "And of course the need and potential for another campaign will never be far from our minds."

"This campaign is a great success," DeGange said. But, "there are still unmet priorities which we will continue to focus and work on after the campaign."