The Dartmouth Covers Educational Events Well

I have been consistently pleasantly surprised by the amount of coverage The Dartmouth gives to important educational events occurring within the context of student life on this campus. In the month that I have been serving as Coordinator of the Sexual Abuse Awareness Program, I have felt able to rely on The Dartmouth as a source of coverage for the wide range of events happening at Dartmouth.

A fine example of this is a recent (7/23) article by Mark Shahinian covering the Dating/Relationships workshop which was sponsored by Alpha Delta and Kappa Kappa Gamma. The time spent with the groups was a wonderful chance to be exposed to Dartmouth student culture "from the inside," and Gabrielle Lucke (the main presenter) and I always welcome those opportunities. Mark covered the event fairly and thoroughly.

I did want to make a couple of corrections: my name is Susan Marine, not Susan Murphy. As the Coordinator of the Sexual Abuse Awareness Program, my role includes individual student assistance and advocacy, advising the peer educators (REACT) and the Sexual Abuse Peer Advisors, and coordinating the college's effort to educate all Dartmouth community members by bringing awareness about sexual abuse issues to the forefront.

As a "new" administrator, I welcome the opportunity to speak with any students who have concerns about sexual abuse issues or would like to get involved in the education/peer response programs established by and for students. Please feel free to contact me at any time by blitz or at HB 6143, call me at 650-1414, or stop by my office on the third floor of Dick's House.

Thanks again for being committed to reporting on the "big picture" at Dartmouth.