Find your niche here, but first find your classroom

Collis Student Center

It all starts here. Collis has just about everything a student needs, such as Mortal Kombat upon which to take out midterm frustrations and an ATM which will provide the means for a "night on the town." Just recently constructed, Collis is one of the most modern-looking buildings on campus.

Collis hosts a health-oriented cafe, an arcade, the Lone Pine Tavern, billiardsand ping pong tables, and a television room. On the upper two floors are meeting rooms, the academic skills center, career services, the international students office and the student activities office.

Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts

The "Hop" is the home of the fine and performing arts. It hosts a number of theaters, including the almost 1,000-seat Spaulding Auditorium, in which students can watch anything from the recent Flamenco dancer performances to movies shown by the Dartmouth Film Society. Walk downstairs and hear the sounds of grinding wood and music.

The bottom of the Hop features the woodshop, music library and the pottery and jewelry studios. On the first floor is an eatery with ready-to-eat meals as well as a grill. The Hop is also home to the Hinman Boxes, where everyone goes to check their mail even when they know they won't get any.

Robinson Hall

Scheduled to be done with renovations by the time '00's show up on campus, Robinson Hall hosts the offices of the radio stations WDCR/WFRD, the Aegis, The Dartmouth and other student groups. This building is always alive: between the radio show hosts and the late-night D editors, Robinson is always bustling with people and noise.

McNutt Hall

Home of the Admissions office, the cashiers office, and, most crucial, the Registrar's Office. Expect to make many trips down into the recesses of McNutt on your way to the Registrar. This is the place with all your academic records.

Parkhurst Hall

Ivy and leaves grow along the rusty-red brick facade of Parkhurst administration building. Two monolithic pillars and massive wooden doors, more than three times the size of even the tallest Dartmouth student, will stare you down as you take your first steps into Parkhurst on the way to the Freshman Office.

A staircase in the center of the hall leads down to the recess of Parkhurst's basement. To the left, a green sign reads "First-Year Office." The door is always open, and when you enter the office bright lights, soft music and carpeting peppered with red, pink and white will welcome you. Definitely make a trip or two down there -- it'll be worth your while.

Upstairs are the offices of most of the college's administrators, such as the president, dean of the College and provost.

Baker Library

Baker is the big building smack in the middle of campus with the trademark tower. You cannot miss it. As a motivated Dartmouth student, you will, hopefully, spend many hours in here.

Check out the reserve -- or "observe" -- corridor with the Orozco murals downstairs. Students rarely look at them. Their gaze is more often focused on those that walk by. Upstairs is the remedy to the persistent chatter of the Reserve Corridor -- the Tower Room. If you have to sneeze, don't do it. Literally, you can hear a pin drop in the Tower Room.

Sanborn House

Adjacent to Baker, Sanborn is home to Sanborn library and the English department. Tea is served at 4 p.m. in Sanborn library Monday through Friday.

Webster Hall

With its massive pillars and dome-like roof, Webster Hall resembles a Greek monument. Inside it is quite a beautiful and spacious hall -- the only one of its kind on this campus. It hosts such events as formals, campus-wide parties and cultural activities.

Last year, Natalie Merchant performed at Webster. Soon it will be converted into Special Collections, where the College's rare books and other such trinkets will have a spacious home.

Dartmouth Row

The big row of white buildings on the east side of the Green which host classrooms and offices. These are the College's oldest standing edifices.

Thayer Dining Hall

Home to the Big Three: Food Court, Home Plate and West Side Buffet. Downstairs is student employment office. Upstairs is the Topside convenience store and the College Copy Center. Sandwiched in between -- pun intended -- are the dining halls. Home Plate is the healthiest and has a pleasant ambiance.

Food Court resembles a high school cafeteria, except it is in a much more elegant-looking room. West Side Buffet used to be a place called Full Fare, which offered all-you-can-eat meals. Since the buffet will be newly opening this fall, we know as much as you do about what to expect.

Byrne Hall

Perhaps one of the best kept secrets of Dartmouth, Byrne dining hall is nestled at the end of Tuck Drive, sandwiched between the Tuck School of Business and Feldberg Library. Beautiful from the inside, the taste of the food actually matches the ambiance. Although it is the graduate student dining facilities, undergraduates are allowed to eat here.

Feldberg Library

One of the next best secrets is Feldberg library, an air-conditioned place many undergraduates do not know about. It is rather conducive to "hard-core tooling" because of big tables to spread out all of the stuff you need to do physics problem sets. Also, you'll be brushing elbows with intense Thayer engineering and Tuck business students.

Fairchild, Steele, Burke and Wilder

Many a science and engineering major spends his or her time in these four buildings, which are connected by the Fairchild tower. Burke is home to the chemistry department, Fairchild the geography and earth sciences, Steele the environmental studies, and Wilder the physics. On the third floor of Fairchild is one of Dartmouth's only air-conditioned libraries -- Kresge Physical Sciences Library.

Silsby Hall and the Rockefeller Center

These two connected buildings are the bastion of the social sciences at Dartmouth. Silsby is home to the government department and Rockefeller is home to the Economics department. "Rocky" is the center for the social sciences, a site for numerous speakers and debates.

Carpenter Hall

This building connected to Baker is the home of the art history and anthropology departments, and the women's studies program. Carpenter also holds Sherman Art Library, a good place to find a quiet spot in which to study.

Fairbanks

Ask any student where Fairbanks is and he or she will probably not know. This white building behind Massachusetts Row is always referred to as the Tucker Foundation -- one of Fairbanks' more popular inhabitants.

The Tucker Foundation is the focal point of all volunteerism and community service for Dartmouth students.

Gilman, Dana Biomedical Library and the Medical School

Way down yonder, on the far north side of campus lay Gilman Life Sciences building, the Dana Biomedical Library and the Dartmouth Medical School.