Graduate schools award degrees

Members of the Class of 1996 are not the only ones graduating from Dartmouth this weekend. Also receiving diplomas are the graduates of the College's three professional schools and graduate students from the College's academic departments.

Dartmouth's three professional schools, the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration, Dartmouth Medical School and the Thayer School of Engineering, all held investiture ceremonies yesterday to give academic hoods to graduates.

Hoods are part of the formal academic regalia worn by graduating students. Each hood's colors designate the degree granted and the graduate's school.

The graduate students from the College's academic departments also received hoods to wear at Commencement today. Public Programs Assistant Director Olivia Chapman said they and the professional school graduates will receive diplomas at the Commencement ceremony along with the Class of 1996.

Some graduate students whose jobs begin Monday will receive their diplomas in the mail, Chapman said.

During today's ceremony, graduate students will file in from the sides while the Class of 1996 walks up the center isle, she said.

"There will be six sections in the very front reserved for graduating students," Chapman said. "While the middle four sections are reserved for seniors, the two outside are for graduate and professional school candidates."

Graduating medical students and master and doctoral candidates in the life sciences were given their hoods at Class Day on the front lawn of DMS yesterday afternoon, Medical School Assistant Dean of Student Affairs Sue Ann Hennessy said. Fifty-nine medical students will receive their medical degrees today in front of about 1,000 guests.

Edward Gerety, a physician from the New Mexico Heart Institute, spoke at Saturday's ceremony.

The DMS Dermatones, a medical student a cappella group, sang at the ceremony.

After the hooding of the candidates, Professor of French and Italian John Rassias, DMS's official "Advocate for Hippocrates," recited the Hippocratic oath in Greek. The ceremony closed with DMS Dean Andrew Wallace leading the graduates in the recitation of the Hippocratic oath.

The Thayer School of Engineering recognized 100 graduates yesterday morning in a ceremony in Cook Auditorium with about 350 guests.

About 1,100 people watched as bachelor of engineering and master degree candidates were given hoods at this ceremony, Thayer School Registrar Daryl Laware said. Ph.D. candidates will be given hoods at Commencement today.

The Tuck School held its investiture ceremony on the green in front of the Tuck School yesterday afternoon, Tuck Dean of Student Affairs Patricia Palmiotto said. Hoods were presented to 181 graduates, who received their M.B.A. degrees.

Dartmouth Board of Trustees Chairman E. John Rosenwald '52, who graduated from the Tuck School in 1953, spoke at yesterday's ceremony. Rosenwald is vice chairman of Bear Stearns Companies.

Graduate students from the arts and sciences departments will be given diplomas at Commencement today.

Forty-six students will receive Ph.D. degrees, but only 31 will be present to receive their hoods at the Commencement ceremony.

Sixty-one graduates will receive a master of science degree, 23 will receive a master of arts and liberal sciences degree and 12 will receive a master of arts degree.