Choir, in concert, bids adieu to senior directors

The Gospel Choir gave a stunning performance in Spaulding Auditorium on Saturday afternoon and bade farewell to its two senior directors for their undying commitment to the group.

Under the direction of Simeon Anderson '97, Lisana Gabriel '96, Carmen Harden '96 and Boris Rose '97, the choir performed with an energy and intensity that drew multiple standing ovations from the enthusiastic audience.

The first half of the program saw strong solos from Keara Sease '96 in "Lily in the Valley" and Christine Dankwa '97 in "Worthy of the Praise." Anthony Jurado '98 added a virtuosic soprano saxophone to the selection "Every Knee Shall Bow."

The highlights of the first half were provided by the choir as a whole. The energy and power of the song "Call Him Up," followed by "It Is Well" brought the crowd to its feet and kept them standing there.

The second half of the concert opened when Carlos Speed '97 and Aiyana Thompson '99 led the choir with solos in the selection "Down at the Cross."

With the first utterance out of Speed's mouth, the crowd indicated their approval with cheers and were not disappointed by his sweet sounds or Thompson's strong voice.

The small but dynamic ensemble that backed Speed and Thompson added variety to the type of sounds heard on the program.

The rousing "Hallelujah!!! So Glad I'm Free" was graced by a trio of soloists, Jennifer Daniel '97, Harden and Gianni Harris '98.

Taidgh McClory '97 gave a strong performance in "Speak to My Heart," supported by the tireless choir.

Another small ensemble backed Gabriel, Nini Johnson '99, and Christopher Davis '98 in "I Shall Do." The soloists, particularly Gabriel and Johnson, poured themselves into the song with an intensity that was felt by the entire audience.

The choir again made itself a highlight with "My Mind is Made Up." The sheer power of the group was absolutely thrilling.

Before the final selection, Rose took a moment to recognize the graduating senior directors, Gabriel and Harden.

There was a touching scene as Harden expressed how much the choir meant to her as a part of her Dartmouth experience.

The emotion moved Harden to sing the spiritual "His Eye is on the Sparrow." Harden put all of her feeling into the song, which was greeted by a standing ovation from the audience. Gabriel's warm voice was also heard on a verse and chorus of the well-known spirtual.

It is certain that not only Gabriel and Harden's leadership but their superb voices will be missed by the choir.

The final selection featured again Speed, who told the audience that while his voice was tired, he would do his best in the selection "Show Up."

No apologies were needed for Speed's performance. The choir's energy and his fantastic voice had the audience on its feet before the end of the first verse.

Special recognition should go to the band who supported the choir with skill and musicality.

Particularly notable was the work of Taurey Butler '96 on the piano. His improvisatory skill was much appreciated in the final selection of the evening.