'Time Bandits': a classic fairy tale

With a cast of characters ranging from Agamemnon to Robin Hood to Napoleon and encompassing events such as the first voyage of the Titanic and a trip to outer space, it would be difficult for "Time Bandits" to go off track.

Terry Gilliam produced, directed and co-wrote (along with fellow Monty Python actor and "Time Bandits" cast member Michael Palin) the film, adding his own unique mixture of random oddities and conventional plot line.

When "Time Bandits" was released in 1981 and distributed by Films Incorporated, the film was described as "perfect for a major campus showing" because of its "universal appeal."

With this in mind, it should seem odd that such a film was described by Gilliam himself as a true "fairy tale."

"Time Bandits" is a film of epic proportions, following the adventures of an imaginative young boy named Kevin (Craig Warnock) and his six dwarven traveling companions (Randall, Wally, Fidget, Stutter, Vermin and Og).

As their names alone would suggest, these are clearly not the kind of dwarves who, as critic Vincent Camby '45 of The New York Times observed, would "be caught dead whistling while they worked."

The dwarves, in possession of a map to the universe's time holes not quite borrowed from the Supreme Being (Ralph Richardson), come out of Kevin's wardrobe and stumble into his life.

Thus begins their journey through time, where they meet Agamemnon (Sean Connery), Robin Hood (John Cleese), Napoleon (Ian Holm) and finally confront the Evil Genius (David Warner).

The film is enjoyable to watch as it contains "lots of explosions and stereophonic sound effects and excellent fantastic lighting," critic Stanley Kauffmann of the New Republic wrote.

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times recommended the film "with admiration," adding that he has "rarely, if ever, seen a live-action movie that looks more like an artist's conception."

This, however, does not come as a shock to Monty Python fans who know Gilliam primarily for his animation talents. It is clear that with the creative control that one has when he or she writes, directs, and produces a film, the final product will closely resemble the original artist's vision.

In the end, this film is simply described by critics as a well-made film.

David Ansen of Newsweek Magazine raved that "the technical accomplishment is dazzling, the sheer inventiveness a delight."

"Time Bandits" is, he concluded, a "fantastical comedy." Returning from his rather bleak, and rather ugly, vision of the world in "Jabberwocky," Gilliam introduces us to a world of magic and mystery which has its lessons weaved into the fabric of a fun film.

When Gilliam was asked if he considered the film a "classic fairy tale," he replied. "I think it's more of a fairy tale than most. Most modern fairy tales are so vulgarized."

He added, "I think the purpose of the fairy tale is to give a rather frightening experience. Kids come out of it at the other end all right, but it says that there are less than wonderful things in the world, that there's evil out there, there's dangerous things, and I think it builds the kid's strength up in an interesting way."

So we see that Gilliam holds true to the ideal he previously stated in making "Jabberwocky," which was to "make filth beautiful."

Once again, Gilliam seeks to bring good out from what is conventionally bad. In this instance, however, perhaps he is more successful than in his previous attempt.

"Time Bandits" will show in Loew Auditorium tonight.