Heavyweights sweep UNH crews

The Big Green men's heavyweight crew team came away victorious in every race, as it swept the University of New Hampshire, in Durham, on Sunday.

The freshmen boats were victorious in all three of their races, as was the junior varsity boat, which cruised to an easy win by more than 15 seconds.

The varsity race proved to be the tightest for the Big Green rowers, as they managed to hold off UNH by a single boat length.

The varsity race was neck and neck for most of the 1,750 meter course, but Dartmouth made a strong move with 100 meters remaining and pulled out the victory.

One reason why the varsity boat may have struggled, while the junior varsity boat rowed strongly, was an unusual lineup change made for this race.

Instead of anchoring the varsity boat as the members are accustomed, co-Captains Brian Palm '96 and Tom Gilmore '96 were switched into the junior varsity boat.

"It was actually a lot of fun rowing with the junior varsity boat," said Palm. "The junior varsity guys have been pushing the varsity guys every day in practice and they're rowing really well right now."

As for the prospect of further changes in the lineups of the first and second varsity boats, Palm was uncertain what would be done for next weekend's race.

"Even thought the varsity guys didn't row that well, the most important thing is that we won. The conditions were tough with the sleet and the rain, but it's just nice for some of the guys to get a little taste of victory," Palm said.

Up next for the men's heavyweight team is a road trip to New Jersey this Saturday, when it will compete against Rutgers and Boston University.

Palm stressed the importance of the upcoming race when he said, "This weekend's race is really key for us. It's going to be important for us to go down there and set a good tone for the rest of the way."