CFSC redefines its purpose

The Coed Fraternity Sorority Council voted unanimously to adopt a revised purpose statement, in addition to outlining plans for a new advisory committee, at its meeting Tuesday.

The new purpose statement demonstrates the council's growing ability to work together as a unit, according to CFSC President Martin Dengler '97.

"It's a big step because of how it came into being," Dengler said of the revised statement, noting the significance of the unanimous vote.

The statement calls for the CFSC to be a group "that unites the leaders of Dartmouth's CFS system into a proactive and, if necessary, reactive body."

The statement concludes, "the Council shall work to promote respect for all members of our Greek system and the Dartmouth community as a whole; the presidents sitting on the Council shall honestly commit themselves to this purpose in order to earn the respect of Dartmouth's students, administration and faculty, and of the Hanover community."

The CFSC also voted in favor of setting up an advisory committee which would be separate from the current Coed Fraternity Sorority Judicial Committee.

The advisory committee, according to Dengler, will provide a forum for problems to be dealt with in a confidential manner within the Greek system.

"It's not antagonistic or a review board," Dengler said of the advisory committee, which is tentatively planned to include two fraternity presidents, two sorority presidents and the president of a coed fraternity.

"Basically, its idea is to regulate activity within the houses of the Greek system," said Joanna Whitley '97, president of the Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority.

Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority president Cai Boldt '97 said, "I think this is something that a lot of the houses have been interesting in doing for a while."

The CFSC also discussed the possibility of a party during Green Key weekend that would involve all the Greek organizations.

"If it's done well, it could be really successful and we're planning on doing it well," Whitley said. Money raised by the party would be donated to charity.

In addition, the CFSC examined several suggestions for types of community service at the meeting.

Suggestions included highway adoption, educational programs and the implementation of a CFSC symposium, which would be held in the fall.

"We're interested in doing things collectively as a group, where we can take an overall stronger part in the Dartmouth community," Boldt said.

CFSC Secretary Jaime Staples '98 said, "I think everybody was pretty satisfied with the way things went overall [at the meeting]. "Everything that was voted on was passed with a great majority and people seemed to agree."