Assembly discusses attendance

The Student Assembly discussed the creation of an ad hoc committee on sponsorship and funding, the Academic Honor Principle and member attendance at its meeting last night.

Case Dorkey '99 and Dominic LaValle '99 sponsored and introduced a resolution to create an ad hoc committee on sponsorship and funding.

LaValle said the purpose of this committee would be to look at ways to responsibly decide how to allocate Assembly funds.

In a discussion following the resolution proposal, Bill Kartalopoulos '97 said he thought the Assembly does not need another ad hoc committee but rather a "more detailed piece of legislation" about allocation of funds.

Della Bennett '96 said allocating funds "has always been a big problem" with the Assembly and it "needs a committee to decide how to spend the money SA gets."

After the Assembly passed the resolution, Rich announced the vote was unconstitutional because the constitution states the decision to create an ad hoc committee must be voted on by the executive committee. The executive committee met and voted to form an ad hoc committee on sponsorship and funding after the general meeting, Rich said.

He said he plans to appoint a chair of the committee within the next few days.

Also during the general meeting, Dorkey presented recommendations from the administration and faculty relations committee on the Academic Honor Principle.

Laura Bennett '96, who chairs the committee, said these recommendations will be submitted in their final form to Dean of the College Lee Pelton and the Committee on Organization and Policy in the form of a letter.

The recommendations included looking into having the honor principle extended to apply to faculty and having each class clearly define in its syllabus how the honor principle applies to it.

Ben Hill '98 sponsored a resolution on attendance at Assembly and committee meetings. He said the idea is not a new one; it was part of the old constitution.

Hill said he thinks there is "no excuse for missing General Assembly meetings, and if you have to miss more than three meetings per term for whatever reason you will not know what is going on and you won't be as effective a leader."

The resolution was tabled until next week's meeting.

Executive Vice President and Chair of the Member and Internal Affairs Committee Kelii Opulauoho '96 said the Assembly has four new members this term.

New members are Nana Ashong '99 representing the Afro-American Society, Llezlie Green '97 from the Rape Education Awareness Committee, Catherine Prest '97 representing the Dartmouth Outing Club and Chris Swift '97, who chairs the Assembly's ad hoc committee on advising.

Seth Kelly '99 took over as parliamentarian last night after the Assembly went a term without an official one.

At the end of the meeting Rich said he gave $100 of the Assembly's money to the fund for Sexual Assault Prevention Week which starts on April 21.

Rich said next week Pelton will address the Assembly and answer any questions members have for him.