June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

One-On-One Education Ends Racism

Even after all that's happened this term, all the rallies, speeches, columns, flyers, manure dumpings, administration promises and BlitzMail announcements, even after the activists have spoken, some people still have their eyes closed to some bare, hard facts, which, whether you like it or not, need to be recognized.

First of all, everyone has a right to hold whatever beliefs they want. This means, contrary to much of what's been said lately, and perhaps contrary to what our first instincts of common decency tell us, people have a right to hold racist and sexist beliefs if they wish to. Granted, the admissions office probably does its best to try to weed out such people, but some will slip through. If you can't deal with this fact, go home. If we do not grant each other these rights to question even the most commonly accepted values, there can be no meaningful dialogue in what, at its best, should be a thoughtful, intellectual community.

Second, vandalism and destructive behavior are not acceptable, no matter what ideology is behind them. Dumping manure on someone's lawn and writing an unsolicited insult on someone's door are exactly the same. We do not need new regulations to deal with this type of behavior. As a community we already have accepted rules regarding vandalism and destruction of property. Ditto for sexual harassment and rape. It is the responsibility of the administration to make sure the perpetrators are punished under our current rules.

Third, beliefs cannot be regulated by speech codes. Not only is a speech code unconstitutional, but telling someone they can't express their beliefs is only going to breed resentment and firm up those beliefs. Even more important, a speech code is an insult to those of us in the Dartmouth community who know better than to rely on racial/ sexual/ homophobic epithets to get our point across. What does a speech code say about our ability to deal with these issues as a community in a non-punitive, constructive fashion? Isn't it a sign of defeat, an admission of inability to persuade these people through rational discourse?

Fourth, people who care about racism go to rallies and speeches. People who don't care don't. It's important for there to be public events at which people can gather and air their views, but ultimately these are not going to solve the problem. The people who really need to be educated, the ones whose views on racism and sexism we would like to change or at least stir up, are not going to go to the rallies and speeches.

Now that I've laid out the not-so-happy facts, what's the solution? It certainly isn't a cure-all. But one method hasn't been given much attention, perhaps because it's doesn't entail group action.

The best method of persuasion is one-on-one education. In my experience, racism stems from ignorance. I grew up in a mostly white community, and my superstitions and fears about black people were not eradicated until I got to know several black people on a one-to-one basis. Every time I made a new black friend, another one of my stereotypes about black people went flying out the window.

Racism comes from stereotypes which are inherently invalid because of the diversity within each race. The only way for me, or you, or anyone else, to erase those stereotypes is by sharing what we are. I'm Asian. Most of my friends are white. Boom! For people who know me, there goes one more stereotype; not all Asians hang out with other Asian people. Eradicating racism is a step-by-step, person-by-person process. Until each of us make an attempt to reach out and get to know personally those people who need to learn, the problem will not be resolved.

On that note, I have what may seem a radical suggestion for those students who dumped the manure and distributed that flyer. Instead of unsubstantiated attacks, why don't you try to discuss these problems with the perpetrators? The people mentioned in your flyer are not some crazy fringe-type people. They are our fellow students, with whom we go to classes and eat in Thayer and attend frat parties. You expect others to respect your dignity as a human being. Respect theirs. Don't destroy the channels of communication. You have valid concerns; so do they.

Unity doesn't mean I have to accept your beliefs quid pro quo. It means I accept and respect your right to hold them, no matter how much I may disagree.