Link '98 fined for disorderly conduct

Jeffrey Link '98 pleaded guilty to a charge of disorderly conduct in the Hanover District Court on March 11 and was fined $300. The College also fined Link $50 and placed him on probation.

Link wrote racial slurs on the dormitory room door of two Asian-American students in early January.

Link turned himself in to the police on Jan. 24.

He was charged with directing at another person, in a public place, "derisive or offensive words which are likely to provoke a violent reaction on the part of an ordinary person," according to the Valley News.

This crime constitutes a violation under New Hampshire statutes which carry a penalty of probation or fine, according to the Valley News.

Link said he was fined $250 for the violation and charged a $50 penalty assessment.

Link said he did not have a lawyer at his trial.

"I felt really bad about the whole thing so that's why I didn't go in with a lawyer," he said. "I admitted I was wrong."

Link said he would like to put the event behind him but "it's not up to me to put it behind me. I feel really bad about the situation and wish it hadn't happened in the first place."

In his apology to the Dartmouth Community printed in The Dartmouth on Feb. 5, Link wrote, "I believe that I have harmed the Dartmouth community by my senseless, malicious act and I am very regretful of what I did. My actions were unjustified and immature. There is no justification for what I did and there are no excuses to be made. I was wrong."

Jon Jun '98 and Michael Yoo '98 lived in the room whose door Link defaced.

"I don't think he should be held accountable for a lifetime," Yoo said. "I don't think he should be marked for life for this but I hope that he learns from this."

Jun also said he hoped Link has learned from his mistake.

"The money is just a formality," Jun said. "It doesn't make me happy but I hope he's already learned his lesson."

Link said the College also took action by fining $50 him and placing him on probation.

"I would like to know that the institution that I chose will not tolerate this as well," said Yoo. "What he did should be in direct opposition to what the College stands for."

"I'm satisfied now with what has happened," said Jun. "He's publicly apologized. But at the time, it didn't seem like the school was taking a strong stand and it wasn't quick enough. It took a long time to see any action."