Students under investigation for drugs

An investigation of "drug activity" within Bones Gate fraternity was triggered by "inadvertent discoveries" made during a response to a fire alarm Thursday evening, said Detective-Sergeant Frank Moran of the Hanover Police Department.

The police are still investigating their discoveries, but Moran said he hoped to complete the investigation soon.

Moran said when the fire and police departments responded to the alarm, "fire department officials and, to a lesser extent, Dartmouth Safety and Security" found evidence of illegal substances.

College Proctor Bob McEwen said "things were noticed" during the evacuation, and the police were notified.

McEwen said he does not know what was confiscated from the house.

The police officers present at the scene took down the initial information and sought search warrants, Moran said.

"No one has been arrested to date," he said, "At this point we are still investigating."

Moran said the Drug Enforcement Agency is not involved in the Bones Gate investigation because "the DEA does not usually get involved in things of this caliber."

Bones Gate President Jeremy Stackawitz '97 said the investigation is not a house issue. He said while members of the fraternity are under investigation, the house as a whole is not.

David Lysy '99, who was present at the fraternity house on Thursday, said when the fire alarm went off there was a "mass evacuation" and "everything turned into chaos."

Lysy said everyone grabbed their coats, hats and belongings and "bolted out."

As people were rushing out of the house, Lysy said he saw some brothers locking their rooms, but said others did not lock their rooms.

Once everyone was outside, no one was allowed back in the house except for Bones Gate brothers, Lysy said.

Stackawitz said the fire department told him the fire alarm was not intentionally pulled.