June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Haig to compete in Miss Black USA

Nadine Haig '97 will represent New Hampshire at the Miss Black USA pageant in Washington, D.C., tomorrow.

Haig says she is excited about the national contest because it will give her the opportunity to meet women like herself from across the nation and to be "a role model for other young ladies."

A 20-year-old from Brooklyn, N.Y., Haig won first prize in the Miss Black New Hampshire pageant in November, giving her the right to continue on to the Miss Black USA pageant.

Haig said she entered the New Hampshire pageant, which she learned about on an Afro-American Society bulletin board, because "it would be something fun and interesting, something to tell my kids about."

So far there have been no requirements of her state title, Haig said.

The national contest, which is based on academic achievement as well as physical beauty, will be aired on the cable network Black Entertainment Television later this year, she said.

The competition consists of four segments: personal expression, talent, evening gown and a personal interview.

At the televised pageant, Haig will perform a monologue for the talent portion of the show, she said.

Haig said she has been working with English Department Chair Bill Cook to find an African-American monologue that is "really dramatic, strong and cultural."

Haig said she spent her winter break preparing for the national competition. She met with a designer to choose dresses, had photographs taken and tried to raise funds for the approximately $3,000 in expenses associated with the contest.

Haig said she still needs $1,000 to pay for the airfare, lodging, photographs and more than $2,000 worth of clothing, jewelry and shoes.

Haig, who is still looking for sponsors, said she has contacted all of Dartmouth's Greek organizations seeking support. She left for the national contest in Washington, D.C. last Friday.

The daughter of native West Indians, Haig said she hopes her studies will allow her to someday work in a global context, probably as an international lawyer.

Haig, a presidential scholar, currently works as an undergraduate advisor and as an intern for Career Services. She is also active in the Afro-American society.

Calvin Daniels '96 said Haig is a perfect candidate for Miss Black USA: friendly, focused, ambitious, outgoing and confident.

Haig is "someone who is always there for me ... she cheers me up," Daniels said. Haig would never "let anything stand in her way from getting what she wants accomplished."