Commentators talk on Forbes' role

Political commentators Arnie Arenson and Charlie Arlinghaus discussed the role GOP candidate Steve Forbes will play in the coming primary elections at "Who's Who in Presidential Politics," a forum about presidential candidates held last night at the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences.

The two commentators co-host "Arlinghaus and Arenson," a political news program aired weekly on New Hampshire Public Radio. Arenson is a former state representative and ran for governor in 1992. Arlinghaus is the executive director of New Hampshire's Republican State Committee.

About 30 people gathered in the Hinman Forum to listen to the two commentators discuss the Republican candidates for the Feb. 20 primary. The discussion focused mostly on businessman Steve Forbes' role in the primary.

After the discussion, Arenson emphasized that the primaries were much more important than the actual elections. She said Dartmouth students could have a large affect on New Hampshire's Republican primary and she encouraged students to vote in this year's elections.

The primary "sets the agenda for the whole election," she said. "It's more important than what happens in November because then you only have two choices."

Referring to Dartmouth's nearly 5,000 students, Arenson said, "Institutions like this can make a difference."

"In the primaries, a 2,000 vote differential could move a candidate from fourth place to second place," she said. She emphasized the importance of student voting.

Arlinghaus began the forum by saying Forbes is the only candidate about whom people are talking, even though he should not be.

"The race is different now that Dole is no longer a complete shoo-in," he said. "There is talk about Forbes buying the election with his oodles and oodles of dollars. However, the TV ads are not the only reason he's doing well."

Arlinghaus said Forbes also was doing well in the polls because he has clearly defined his goals, notably his plan to institute a flat-tax.

The discussion was sponsored by the Wheeler/Richardson cluster and organized by Richardson Undergraduate Advisor Carrie Kuss '96.