College still debating library specifics

There are currently two construction projects being planned for the College's library system. The first is the construction of Berry Library and the second is the renovation of Webster Hall to hold Special Collections.

The College still is deliberating the exact specifications and elements that will be included in the Berry Library addition to Baker Library.

"We're not that far along in the process yet," College Librarian Margaret Otto said.

John Crane, director of Library Administrative Services and the chair of the Library Building Committee, described the process as "currently in stage one."

The first stage, Crane said, involves identifying and defining all elements that should be included in Berry Library.

"A number of task forces and groups are looking at construction of Berry," Otto said. "It's been an ongoing project since last fall. Once the building committee finishes work, then we work with the architects."

"We hope to have several different models or proposals by May for community feedback," Crane said.

"We are quite a ways from the stage in which you would actually design the building," he added.

Earlier this term, members of the College community expressed concern that not enough space in the new library addition will be devoted to book storage.

"Nobody has said how much space will exist for books and public service functions or classrooms," Otto said. "That hasn't happened yet."

"Word got out before the actual fact," she explained. "People are concerned about the storage of material but that is only hearsay. I can't say, one way or another."

"It will have to be high tech," Otto added. "So much is dependent on high tech infrastructure."

The construction of Berry Library is important, Otto said, because Baker is currently at full capacity.

"A library is considered at full capacity when it is 80 percent filled," Otto explained. "You're constantly shifting. It's not efficient and you run into overflow materials that can't be shelved because there's no space."

The primary members of the planning group, Crane said, are himself, Provost Lee Bollinger, Professor of Classics William Scott and Professor of Chemistry John Winn.