Assembly looks to combat apathy

Members of two Student Assembly committees met with representatives of campus organizations yesterday to discuss ways to combat apathy and organizational isolation by facilitating communication between student groups.

Communications Committee Vice President Jonah Sonnenborn '99 said yesterday's meeting was the beginning of a series of meetings that will have a similar focus.

Sonnenborn said students at the meeting discussed apathy and ways "more organizations can involve one another."

Oberkofler said yesterday's meeting had two specific objectives.

The first goal, she said, is to create a single reference that lists all the organizations on campus.

"If someone is interested in knowing what organizations there are, he could just pick up a booklet," she said.

Oberkofler said the second goal is to help student organizations better publicize events.

"Often groups have events, but it is difficult to get people to come," she said.

Sonnenborn said the committee also discussed appointing a student intern on activities who would coordinate information and events from all College-recognized organizations to make it more accessible to students.

The creation of this position represents the second step the Assembly has taken in this direction.

Monica Oberkofler '96, the vice president of the Student Organizations Committee, said the Assembly added an eighth vice president during Summer term, who is also a member of the College's Committee on Student Organizations.

Oberkofler currently fills this position.

The committee consists of Assembly members who also represent other campus organizations, she said.

Many student groups are already represented on the committee, Oberkofler said.

Oberkofler said she has contacted more campus organizations, and some have expressed interest in joining the committee.

The Afro-American Society, La Alianza Latina, the Dartmouth Asian Organization, the Dartmouth Outing Club, the World Affairs Council, Asgard, Native Americans at Dartmouth, WDCR and WFRD radio stations, the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council, Young Democrats at Dartmouth and the Rape Education Action Committee are all represented on the committee.

At the Student Assembly meetinglater last night, Chris Swift '98, who is not an Assembly member, reported on the status of a set of surveys for students and faculty members to assess the advising system.

Swift said, "Advising is not one-stop shopping," and his committee is looking to assess whether faculty advisors are helpful to freshmen and whether freshmen use the advisors and other first year resources to their benefit.

Vice President of the Administration and Faculty Relations Committee Laura Bennett '96 said the on-line course guide the Assembly has been compiling was approved by Pelton and Dean of the Faculty Jim Wright to be put on the College's home page.

Shakari Cameron '96 said the guide should be on the home page this week.

Assembly President Jim Rich '96 said next week's meeting may be on a different day because Dean of the College Lee Pelton will be addressing the Assembly.

Rich said Pelton will talk about the First-Year Experience report and his reactions and ideas for solutions to the hate crime incidents that have been occuring on campus.