Women swim personal bests

The women's swim team swam Columbia and Cornell this weekend, with very different results and ending with a 2-4 overall record (2-2 Ivy League).

The team hung with the Columbia Lions early on in the meet, but roared back in the second half for a 162-138 victory on Saturday.

On Sunday, the team fell behind early and never recovered, losing the meet 174-126.

The Big Green came to the Karl B. Michael Pool this Saturday ready to swim fast. And they did. Faster than they have swum the entire season. Amy Schneeberger '97 recorded a season best in the 500 freestyle, winning the event on the last few strokes to finish in 5:11.79.

Deb Whitney '96 returned to form, threatening pool records and dominating the freestyle. Whitney took the 50 freestyle in 24.84, a personal best. She also won the 200 freestyle in 1:53.79, just a couple tenths of a second off the pool record. Whitney also won the 100 freestyle in 53.54, just off her personal best.

"The Columbia meet produced some of the fastest swimming this team has seen in this season," co-Captain Karen Bysshe '96 said. "And there is nothing more encouraging than that."

The divers contributed a sweep on the three meter board and a two-three-four finish on the one meter board. The highlight of the weekend was junior Ann Craig's performance on one meter, which qualified her for the Eastern Zone meet this March.

"I think that we all pulled together as a team on Saturday and dove to our best potential," Courtney DuBois '99 said. "There was more pressure on us than usual because the top places would really help our team score. We pulled it together really well, and we were proud to be able to help out the team."

The Cornell meet was a far different meet. The Big Green had their share of victories, but in the end Cornell's depth proved superior. The team was led by double event winners Whitney and Andrea Hill '97. Whitney won the 50 freestyle in 25.00 and led off the 400 freestyle relay. Hill dominated the breaststroke events, winning the 100 in 1:07.52 with a lead of over two seconds and winning the 200 in 2:24.66 with a lead of over three seconds.

Again, the divers provided a strong performance, sweeping the one meter competition behind a first place finish by Craig. On three meter, the Big Green were again led by the first place finish of Sarah Hobson '97.

The women travel to Vermont this Wednesday night, looking for their third win of the season.