Swimming splits with Penn

The Dartmouth women's swim team returned to form against the Pennsylvania Quakers, earning its first win of the season. The 182-116 victory raised the team's overall record to 1-3 and 1-2 in the Ivy League.

The 200 medley relay of Amy Schneeberger '97, Andrea Hill '97, Karyn Bysshe '96 and Deb Whitney '96 gave Dartmouth an 11-6 advantage with a 1:52.34 victory. Whitney and Schneeberger extended the lead to 34-21 by placing first and second in the 200 freestyle, respectively.

"The meet was a team victory," Bysshe said. "One in which we called upon everyone and everyone responded."

The Quakers came roaring back to dominate the 100 backstroke and cut the lead to 39-35. Hill's victory in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:06.69 was offset by a 2-3-4 finish by the Quakers.

But the Big Green proved to be a far stronger second half team. Hill's victory began a five-event first place streak, giving Dartmouth a 108-60 lead. Whitney and Wendy Simon '98 started another streak by finishing 1-2 in the 50 freestyle. Ann Craig '97, Courtney DuBois '99 and Erica Monahan '96 combined for a one-two-three sweep on the one meter diving board. Whitney and Simon combined again to take first and second in the 100 freestyle, extending both streaks.

The Quakers came back to life, sweeping the 200 backstroke and cutting the lead to 111-76. Andrea Hill responded with a win in the 200 breaststroke, but Penn took second, third and fourth. But the Big Green broke the Quakers back in the next event -- the 100 fly. Simon scored a victory in 59.73, followed by Bysshe in 1:00.85, and Alison Cuff '98 in 1:01.39 to complete the sweep.

The divers responded by sweeping the three meter board behind 159.05 points by Sarah Hobson '97, DuBois' 149.85 points and Craig's 146.50 points. The second sweep left the Quakers behind 162-100.

Topping off the victory for the Big Green, Schneeberger, Emily Ellis '97, and Bysshe combined for the third straight sweep, taking the 400 individual medley in 4:42.66, 4:44.87 and 4:48.64.

"Freshman Emily Atkinson, sophomore Wendy Simon and junior Amy Schneeberger had outstanding performances, and much of our success was a result of their swims," Bysshe said.

The Big Green are looking to capitalize on this weekend's victory over Penn and hope to carry the momentum into this Saturday's home match-up against Columbia.