Student turns himself in to police

James Gerhart '98 turned himself in to Hanover police last week after escaping police custody the previous weekend. He awaits a trial on Feb. 28.

Gerhart, who was arrested after stealing a bicycle Sunday, Jan. 21, has been charged with escape, possession of stolen property, theft, resisting arrest, and giving false information to a police officer, said Police Captain Christopher O'Connor.

At about midnight on Jan. 23, Gerhart "came into the station and told the police department that he was there to turn himself in," O'Connor said.

"Kapusta, the apprehending officer, identified Gerhart as the same person," O'Connor said.

Kapusta, on patrol that Sunday, had become suspicious when he saw a person on a woman's bike with a flat tire, he said.

Gerhart was riding with another person Sunday night. The second party escaped on another bicycle.

"We would be interested in a second party," O'Connor said. "We are not sure the second party actually committed a crime. He may have just been with him at the time."

Gerhart has been released on $4,000 personal recognizance bail, O'Connor said.

Personal recognizance bail is usually issued when the defendant is a member of the community and has not committed a violent crime, O'Connor said.

O'Connor said the escape and theft charges both constitute felonies.

Gerhart was apprehended after a struggle with Officer John Kapusta last Sunday on North Main Street near Elm Street, O'Connor said.

Despite being handcuffed in Kapusta's squad car, Gerhart managed to bring his handcuffed hands to the front of his body and escaped from the car, arresting officer John Kapusta previously told The Dartmouth.

Gerhart has retained George Ostler of the Sachs and Des Meules Law Firm in Norwich, Vt., to represent him in the trial.

Gerhart declined to comment and Ostler could not be reached for comment.