Russo '97 elected Panhell president

Jess Russo '97 was elected the new president of the Panhellenic Council Thursday night and Marcie Handler '97 was elected vice president.

Russo previously served as the Panhell president during the summer. "I think we had a really good Summer term," Russo said.

"I got a little taste of it on a much smaller scale," Russo said of her summer experience. Russo has experience working with Handler, who was also vice president during the summer. "We work really well together," Russo said.

Russo is a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. Handler is a member of Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority.

Kelley Hart '97, who was elected Panhell secretary, is a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority.

Handler said one of Panhell's main goals will be to unite all the sororities.

"In general," Russo said, "we're looking to support inter-sorority bonding."

Panhell has no immediate plans to form a seventh sorority, Russo said.

Panhell is also planning to organize programming on women's health issues. Handler said although sororities usually arrange such events within their houses, Panhell is looking to co-sponsor future health programming with other organizations.

Mariam Malik '98, the newly-elected Panhell programming chair, said, "I'm mainly interested in involvement with other campus organizations."

Malik said she'd like to plan inter-organization programming for future rush periods.

Another major priority for Panhell will be preparations for next fall's sorority rush. Panhell's officers have already started planning it.

In addition to other goals, Russo would like to bolster the image of Greek organizations on campus. "We want to show what the sorority system is like at Dartmouth because sometimes Greek organizations get bad press," Russo said.