Women's soccer loses at ECACs

The women's soccer season came to an end Saturday afternoon as the Big Green fell 3-0 in the semifinals in the ECAC Championships.

Dartmouth, which defeated Brown 1-0 at home last Wednesday in the first round of the tournament, simply ran out of steam.

"We just didn't look good from the start," forward Melissa McBean '97 said. "The field was a little bumpy, and we weren't adjusting to that. Defensively, we didn't mark up and their midfielders had opportunities to turn and send the ball up front."

After holding the game scoreless after the first half, giving up three goals in the second was disappointing especially since the Big Green actually outshot their opponents.

"In the first half we weren't as intense, but they weren't doing anything spectacular either," McBean said. "In the second half we came out strong and had a lot of opportunities but didn't take advantage of them."

Finishing has consistently been a problem for the Big Green all season and once again the inability to put the ball in the net proved frustrating for the Dartmouth women Saturday.

After Cornell capitalized on a free kick early in the second half to go up 1-0 and then later squeaked by the Dartmouth defense for a second goal, the Big Green's frustrations became apparent.

"It just took the wind out of our sails," McBean said.

After a frustrating 9-7-1 overall season, the Big Green were pleased to finish off their season with an ECAC bid and a first round win over rival Brown.

"It turned out okay considering we made it to the ECACs," McBean said. "It was pretty good considering all we have encountered through the season. I think we did well with sticking with it once we found out we got into the tournament."