With Canada remaining intact, students are happy

Quebec's decision Monday not to secede from Canada is a landmark for Canadians, and Canadian students at Dartmouth said they are generally pleased with the results of the vote.

"It is awesome that Quebec is not going to secede," said David Rapson '99, who comes from Nova Scotia. "It is better that they're still here. Canada is a good country and there's no point in splitting it up."

He said the election will inevitably lead to some changes, and it is unlikely that Quebec will "stand still and shut up."

Derek Smith '96, who is from Quebec, said he was surprised by how close the outcome was.

Quebeckers narrowly voted against seceding from Canada. The federalists who backed national unity won the vote with 50.6 percent to 49.4 percent. By a margin of barely 50,000 votes out of 4.67 million cast, Canada was spared the loss of its largest province, which contains almost one-quarter of its population.

About 82 percent of Quebeckers are French-speaking. As expected, more than nine in 10 of English-speaking and immigrant Quebeckers voted No as they have traditionally felt excluded by the francophone majority.

The referendum turnout, after a passionate campaign waged for two months, was exceptionally high --93 percent of the roughly 5 million registered voters.

"Either way the outcome would have been interesting," Smith said. "For me it would have been interesting to see whether Quebec would come running back after a few years, but I guess it is good that we're still one country."

Another Quebecker, Whitney Dunn '99, said he is "relieved that I still have a country."

"There always going to be tensions, but hopefully it will work out, and we can keep the country together," he said.

Jefferson Dubrule '99, from Ontario, also said he was glad Quebec voted not to separate. But he said the razor-thin margin of victory indicates that people from Quebec want a change in how they are being treated.

Sarah Howland '96, who is also from Ontario, also expressed concern about the federalists' small margin of victory.

"I am glad they voted against separation, but I wish it were the end of the problem," she said. "If they had voted to separate, they would have at least put an end to all the problems between the English and French. I wish Quebec would just be happy with what we have now."

Amy Wolfe '98, from British Columbia, said she is glad the separatists did not win and said she thinks splitting Canada is a "bad idea."

Wolfe added in an electronic-mail message, "I think that the average American doesn't care enough about this issue."

"They tend to think that it doesn't matter, because it's just Canada, and just a little province full of frogs breaking off," she wrote. "But of all the things happening on this continent, it would probably have the most effect on our future."

Gareth Jones '99, who is from Ontario, had a more ambiguous reaction.

"I am happy they voted not to separate, but the margin was so close that my happiness is tempered with fear that it could happen all over again," he said.

Perhaps Mark Zanatta '98 summed up the reaction of Dartmouth students when he said his reaction to the vote's outcome could be summed up in one word: "relief."

"I am glad to still have a country," he said. "It would have been a significant blow and economic hell for all of Canada if Quebec had separated."

"I like the Quebecois, so I have no complaints with keeping them," he added.

Zanatta said since the outcome was so close, it is likely that Canada will try to quickly strike some type of constitutional agreement with the people of Quebec that everyone can agree upon.

"I am glad to see that the threat is gone, at least for a little while," Zanatta said.

Stung by defeat in the secession referendum, Quebec Premier Jacques Parizeau said yesterday he will resign as head of the bitterly divided province at year's end.

He also voiced regret at the way he had blamed the loss on non-French immigrants, but he stopped short of an outright apology for a diatribe that drew a firestorm of criticism.

Parizeau underscored his continuing support for the separatist cause that has been at the heart of his long political career.

He said his separatist Parti Quebecois would choose new leadership capable of achieving independence for the mostly French-speaking province.

-- Additional reporting by The Associated Press