Soccer slaughers Providence 7-0

In a scoring frenzy, the women's soccer team ended its home season with a bang yesterday afternoon at Chase Field as the Big Green pounded Providence College 7-0.

Dartmouth, now 8-7-1 overall, has been struggling offensively throughout the team with problems in the finishing area, but the Big Green showed no signs of trouble yesterday.

"I thought it was great to be able to go out and play a team where we could really work together," freshman Jessica Prairie said.

The scoring began when leading scorer Jenna Kurowski '97 shot in a goal with just over 10 minutes into the game. Amy Duggan '96 and Melissa McBean '97 were credited with assists on the first Big Green goal.

"I thought we played really well," Kurowski said. "It was us that was good. I think we were really together.

Just two minutes later, Duggan would take one in of her own from an assist by Kerry Marsh '96 giving the Big Green a quick 2-0 lead.

The offense of the Big Green appeared relentless as they continued to dominate the Providence end of the field. In fact, Providence was unable to get off a single shot in the first half making life easier for senior goal keeper Heidi Hachtel.

With still over 25 minutes remaining in the first half, the Big Green would go ahead 3-0 from another goal from Kurowski.

"We were really moving the ball well," Kurowski said. "And we were finishing, which he haven't been doing. I just felt like we were clicking.

With a secure 3-0 lead, the Big Green were not finished with Providence in the first half. With a little over 10 minutes left to play, Christina Hallenbeck '97 took an assist from Betsy Dobbin '97 and pounded Dartmouth's fourth goal of the game.

Despite the halftime break, the Big Green picked up just where they left off. With her third goal of the game, Kurowski put Dartmouth up 5-0 after only three minutes of play in the half. Kurowski's scores put her goal total in to double digit with 11 on the season.

"I thought we played pretty strong throughout," Prairie said. "We were excited throughout and kept up that intensity."

With the game in hand, the Big Green were able to relax somewhat. Providence was able to get off three shots in the second half but was unable to convert on any. Dartmouth's second half goal keeper Annie Eckstein '98 had one save.

Two freshmen came off the bench to give the Big Green their final two goals of the day. Midway through the second half, Sue Eastman '99 took an assist from Michelyne Pinard '97, and just over 10 minutes later, Prairie scored from an assist by Duggan.

For the Big Green, the game meant more than just a win, however. It symbolized the last time seniors would gather to play an official Dartmouth game at Chase Field.

"It was nice for the seniors to go out in style," Kurowski said. "Before the game it was mentioned that they should be an added incentive, so we kept that in our mind."

The Dartmouth play was a definite tribute to the '96 class.

"It was sad to see them go out," Prairie said. "We wanted to have them have a good game to go out on, and I think that was the reason everyone worked as hard as they did."

The Big Green can not rest long, however, as they travel to New York Saturday to take on Columbia at 2:00 p.m.

The Lions, ranked last in the League with a record of 1-5-0, can not be overlooked.

"It's our last Ivy game," Kurowski said. "The Ivies have been such a crazy scene. Anyone can beat anyone. Every school gets up for the Ivy games. It's good that we are coming off a win. Hopefully, we can use that momentum.

With just over a .500 record, the Big Green are hoping to earn a bid into the ECAC tournament in under two weeks, and a win against Columbia could be key.