Big Green runners place in NCAAs

The Dartmouth cross country teams finished their seasons in fine fashion yesterday with respectable finishes in the NCAA Championships in Ames, Iowa.

The Big Green women, ranked consistently in the nation throughout the season, impressively placed 11th with 257 points, which was only two points from placing in the top ten.

Maribel Sanchez '96 again led the Big Green placing 16th in the competitive field of runners. Sanchez ran the course in 17:37. Only the top two runners, Kathy Butler from Wisconsin and Amy Skieresz from Arizona ran in under 17 minutes.

Senior Kristin Manwaring followed Sanchez with a time of 18:03 and a 34th place finish. Jenna Rogers '98 and Kristen Pierce '96 were other top finishers for Dartmouth.

Providence College dominated the competition, finishing first in the nation with 88 points. Colorado followed with a distant 123, and Villanova placed third with 151.

The Dartmouth men, who have had many ups and downs this season, also finished in fine fashion coming in 16th with 390 points.

Senior Captain Jack Dwyer led the Big Green placing 57th with a time of 32:11. This was two minutes and two seconds off the first place finisher, Godfrey Siamusiye, Jr. from Arkansas.

Don Conrad '99 ran an impressive race for a rookie finishing 77th in a time of 32:28. Only three other freshmen ran in front of Conrad.

Senior Chris Langan also raced in the top 100 with a time of 32:44.