Women's soccer gets back on track

The women's soccer team ended a two game losing streak Saturday when the Big Green trampled the Princeton Tigers 2-0 at Chase Fields.

Dartmouth, now 6-4-1 overall and 2-2 in the Ivy League, shut out the Tigers for the fifth straight game.

"It was a good win, but I still think we didn't play our best," April Rasala '99 said. "I think we were a little sloppy at times, but we'll put things together."

Sloppiness was a theme Saturday as both the men's and women's team adapted to a muddy Chase Field. While the women escaped early afternoon showers by playing the later game, they still had to adapt to the wet grass.

Scoring was scarce during the first part of the games, but the Big Green broke this silence when Cindy Goodwin '97 took a pass from Jessica Prairie '99 to nail in the first Dartmouth goal with under 12 minutes to go in the first half.

"I thought we didn't play our style of play," Rasala said. "We were not stringing enough passes together. We've done this in other games. It's just a matter of putting things together."

Dartmouth would strengthen its lead late in the second half when junior forward Melissa McBean took a cross from Liz Maier '97 and beat Tiger goalkeeper Lindsay Bryant with a shot in the left corner. With the goal, Prairie also was given her second assist on the day.

Bryant did have seven saves on the day, while Dartmouth goalkeeper Heidi Hachtel '96 stopped three.

"We were a little unlucky in previous games, but Saturday some of our shots started to finally go in," Rasala said. "That was really good for us. I think it can help turn the season around for us."

Dartmouth will have another big test for it Wednesday when they take on the nationally ranked University of Massachusetts. But nationally ranked teams do not scare the Big Green, who are most known this season for their stunning 2-0 upset of Hartford, which was then ranked three in the nation.

"I think we've shown we can play with anyone," Rasala said. "It's not the other team that defeats us. It's a matter of what we do. It's our mental attitude and preparation."

Being prepared will be key for the Big Green Wednesday as the quick UMass team will look to pounce on Dartmouth early.

"I think it's to our strength to play a team that takes the ball to the ground and plays," Rasala said.

"We tend to play to the level of our competition, and UMass plays at a high level so I think we'll respond."