Women's soccer falls to UMASS

The women's soccer team played a gritty game yesterday afternoon against the University of Massachusetts, which is ranked thirteenth in the nation, but the Big Green fell just short falling to the Minutewomen 1-0.

After coming off a weekend win against Princeton, Dartmouth was looking to find the momentum it has been lacking so far this season, but was unable to capitalize offensively.

"I felt we had a few good chances," Coach Steve Swanson said. "But that's been our Achilles heel all season long. We just don't finish at the right times."

Dartmouth actually outshot the Minutewomen 10-4 but just failed to put the ball in the back of the net -- a problem that has been plaguing the Big Green all season.

"We really outplayed them," Swanson said. "I think a team like UMass isn't going to make many mistakes though."

The game remained even throughout the first half and remained scoreless after the first 45 minutes. The second half played similar until with just under 25 minutes remaining, the Minutewomen scored.

Massachusetts player Rebecca Myers capitalized on a loose ball in front of the goal. The ball came loose after Big Green goalkeeper Heidi Hachtel '96 had batted away a Minutewomen corner shot and there was a scramble for possession just in front of the goal.

"They just tapped it in," forward Melissa McBean '97 said. "It was a legitimate shot. I thought we had been playing better in the second half, so it was too bad something like that had to happen."

Hachtel would have three saves on the day, while Massachusetts sophomore Danielle Dion stopped six in her seventh shutout of the year.

"I was really pleased with the effort we gave," Swanson said. "We were obviously disappointed with the result, but I think we played consistent. We were a little unfortunate, but you have to make your own breaks. It's frustrating for everyone."

Massachusetts improved to 9-1-2 on the year, while the Big Green dropped to 6-5-1. Dartmouth will look to avenge the loss this weekend when the Big Green travel to Cornell for a 12:00 p.m. game Saturday.

"I think we need to pick up the intensity," McBean said. "We're all a little down because the season isn't going as well as we wanted it to. Hopefully we'll get back on track with a win and get back in the running for the Ivy title."